Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you buy a long arm quilting machine for $1000?

Can you buy a long arm quilting machine for $1000?

I just bought a quilting frame and now I need to find a machine for it. Can I buy a decent machine for $1000 or less? Any suggestions on which ones I should check out? Im clueless as to which ones are best.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Look at the Bailey Home Quilter. A 13" machine is around $1300 I think. I have a 17" and love every inch of it!!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Would it be wise to buy a used machine? I have old Singers that I love but have no idea what to look for in a quilting machine.

you should first start visiting shows/dealers & test=driving all the different machines to decide which machines you like-have the features you want- are comfortable for you----then after having a list of what you like/don't like you could start looking at ads for used machines- long-arm machines new start around $5000-$7000...there are mid-arms that are less---
    if you find a used machine for $1000 or less, buy it then hate it- you did not get a deal- so you should research & test drive as many as you possibly can before making a decision- it's like buying a car some of us like one- others like something totally different- it's an investment not to be made based on price alone
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I was machine shopping and they had a machine for $1099, straight stitch, heavy duty, long harp, new. Don't recall the brand as I wasn't interested in a straight stitch, but could find out for you if you are interested. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    I was machine shopping and they had a machine for $1099, straight stitch, heavy duty, long harp, new. Don't recall the brand as I wasn't interested in a straight stitch, but could find out for you if you are interested. PM me.
    Since I know nothing about long arms, I have a question.

Why is a "straight stitch" machine not what you want. I thought all quilting machines --long armed ones, do a straight stitch. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Since I know nothing about long arms, I have a question.

Why is a "straight stitch" machine not what you want. I thought all quilting machines --long armed ones, do a straight stitch. Am I wrong?
    That's what I thought too. All the Long-arm work I have seen here is a straight stitch.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I also would like to know about the $1099 machine please.

Blog Entries
    I don't think you will be able to find a machine with a harp larger than 9" at that price, unless you get a deal on a used machine. You can get a JukiTl98, a Brother 1500 or Janome 1600, all of which are high speed straight stitch machines with a 9" harp, for well under $1000. Mine was about $800 barely used, original packaging, all the accessories. They are not long arm machines, or even midarm, so on a frame you would have limited working space, but they can both be mounted on a frame. Just don't expect the results of a real long arm. You will be readjusting the top frequently.

Do you know which machines will fit your frame? What kind of frame is it?
    Last edited by Krisb; 04-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

http://www.superquilter.com/pics/
    This is the frame I bought. I just really hate to put alot of money into this "hobby".
    Judy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast