Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you call it handmade if you used your machine? >

Can you call it handmade if you used your machine?

Can you call it handmade if you used your machine?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

"Made with love by..." solves the problem for me.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM

I love the way you said that one an it covers all.no puns to it.lol :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
"Made with love by..." solves the problem for me.
I do appreciate ppl's needs to put it on their labels if they feel that way, but never thought about my recipient wanting more info, than
what you said Martina.
Just figured in the future, if someone thought my old quilt was awesome, they could look at stitches and tell, which way I did it.
Truly, see the love,
but maybe the 'expert stitching?' - not so much :wink:
Old 09-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I think all the quilts that we deal with here on the board (of course excluding the Wally world made in China) are handmade. On quilts that I think are my more interesting, I might label machine pieced, machine quilted...or hand pieced, etc....I might even add how many pieces are in the quilt. I do consider it handmade even if I use the machine to piece or quilt...now when we get to pantograms....that is getting close to the edge...and raises a whole 'nother set of questions.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I do think a quilt with machine piecing and or quilting in can be called 'handmade' for all the reasons given above.

And I'd like to agree with Joanne that machine quilting is in no way easier or less artistic than hand quilting - that's from someone who always hand quilted til recently and is now giving machine quilting a bash on some projects; you only have to look at some of the machine quilting done by some of our members to appreciate the artistry involved (Patti and Jaquemoe for example :D )

If you're entering a quilt in a show, then I think you should specify - hand pieced, machine pieced etc - all the shows I've ever been to, large and local have done that. :D

On personal gifts, I'd go with Martina's 'Made with Love'! :wink:
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM

i think that since most quilts are now stitched entirely by machine, they are considered handmade. that has become the new definition. as a result the term hand quilted implies a greater quality because it is rarer and fewer people can do it well. that's why they cost so much more money.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 AM
cjc

There is nothing wrong with something being "homemade" or "handmade". I personally like to use the term "hand-crafted". It's a better marketing term so it works better if you are someplace trying to sell the items that you have made, especially at some of the higher end craft shows where (and I don't want to offend anyone) some of the more snobbish buyers tend to spend their money. I am not talking about a quilt show where most the the people attending know what kind of materials and work goes into creating the beautiful quilts on display.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 AM

I like to use the term "hand crafted", but that's just me. But YES, you can definitly say handmade, if you made it !
Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 AM

I prefer the word "handmade" to "homemade", since it has a nicer connotation in my mind. And when I've done a few hours of machine quilting, my hands usually are feeling rather achy, and the skin is usually a little dry from handling the fabric, and I've often got a bandaid on my hand from pricking my finger with a pin, and.......well, you've got the idea.....I have no trouble using the word "handmade" when referring to my machine crafted items. I definitely am using my hands to craft them!!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Sure it IS handmade... it is NOT hand quilted. I find that to be the distinction. If you've done all the cutting, piecing, and then sewing it on your sewing machine it is handmade.

don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy the journey

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA