Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you help to identify these fabrics? >

Can you help to identify these fabrics?

Can you help to identify these fabrics?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 AM

Hi All, although I've surfed the Quilting Board for a number of years, this is the first time I've written. Thank you all for your tips and ideas - they're always interesting and helpful.

I was born in Perth, Western Australia and have lived here all my life, (now 65), although both my DH and I have travelled overseas to a number of countries over the years.

The fabrics in Meridlin's bottom photo are almost identical to some I purchased in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore some years ago. They were batiks that were locally produced and sold and of quite a "solid" cotton nature. None of the fabrics (batiks) that I purchased had a selvedge or any manufacturer's details. On one occasion whilst in KL, I visited a batik factory and watched the fabrics being hand printed. The airline hostesses on Singapore Airlines wear sarongs made from similar print fabrics, however depending on their status within the crew, wear different colours.

I'm pretty sure that the above fabrics are not Australian Aboriginal prints, but rather Asian.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a safe, happy 2016