Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you help me with name of this block? >

Can you help me with name of this block?

Can you help me with name of this block?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Can you help me with name of this block?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398515[/ATTACH]I would like to learn the name and directions for this block. It is made with three coordinating fabrics...cutting two of each fabric and sewing each square to one of the other fabrics. I need specific directions for anyblock I sew...can't figure them, out on my own. The cornerstones are not added to this block yet.

Thanks to any help you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails imag1268.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM

This is the 8 point or Lemoyne star. It is just made with 1/2 triangle blocks instead of diamonds.

http://www.quiltmag.com/resources/qu...r-quilt-block/
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM

I don't know the name, but I can help you with directions for the half-square triangles (which is what the individual blocks are called). They look to me to be about 2 1/2 to 3 inch blocks. If you want them to be 2 1/2 in unfinished, then start with a 3 inch block of both colors, put them right side together, mark a diagonal line down the middle of the lighter block and then sew 1/4 in on either side of the line. Cut down the middle and then carefully press them so the seam allowance is behind the dark color. Now you need to square them up, and cut them down to 2 1/2 in.
Before you start cutting it helps if you have starched your fabric so that you don't stretch your sewn blocks out of square. I would also suggest to that you buy a beginners book on quilting. It will give you a lot of instruction and tips on how to cut, and sew blocks. Hth, Gina
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM

I watched a girl do these (I know...that should be enough....but I'm a slow learne). She sewed a block of one color to one of the second color...sewed them all he way around the four sides. She sewed the other four blocks the same way....each with one of a different of the 3 fabrics ending with 3 squares sewn RST. Then she cut them diagonally and pressed them...opened them up and put the 6 pieces together. But I can't figure how they go together and would like a pattern so I'd know how much of each fabric I'd need to make a table runner.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Starflower block is one name it goes by
http://www.favequilts.com/Block-Patt...r-Quilt-Block#
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 AM

It's polka dot to purple, to yield four half-square triangles; polka to background, four HSTs; purple to background, four HSTs, and then four background squares.

Bear in mind that when you sew around all four sides and cut on the diagonals (a very quick, very easy method), the diagonals are on the bias edge of the fabric and can be a little bendy and temperamental when sewing them. People recommend using lots of starch to get those edges to behave. Otherwise, you can make two HSTs at a time and not have to deal with bias edges.

When I make HSTs, I always make them big and then trim them down to size. Yes, it's a big pain, but it makes the blocks so much more consistent and the end result so much better. I've actually come to the conclusion that it's worth the time to trim them down, and I'm all about quick quilting!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM

I learned it as Hunter Star...no, not Hunter's Star, just plain Hunter Star. Easy instructions.
http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/HunterStar/
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM

ghostrider's link is the way I do my Carpenter Star which just uses larger squares. I prefer this method of making half square triangles so there are no bias edges. Google Carpenter Star and you will find many directions. I make my blocks slightly larger and trim each one to size.

Your second square in row three shows some printing. I suggest you avoid the selvage edge as it shrinks as a different rate than the fabric. Your fabrics are very pretty. One of my daughters would love the purple. I am getting ready to start a aqua/white Carpenter Star/Carpenter Wheel and I'm looking forward to using three colors after using nine in my first one. Good luck.