Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you identify these two quilt blocks?

My mom gave me two sets of quilt blocks. Set one came from my great grandmother. Since my great grandmother passed away more than 40 years ago, I know they're old. Set number two was given to my mom so she doesn't know how old these are.

I've looked through pictures on the internet and in some books I have, but am having a hard time identifying what the blocks are called.

With all the experienced quilters here I'm hoping someone here could easily identify them.

Thank you in advance!

Set 1
    Name:  Attachment-172068.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  72.8 KB

Identified! - Double T block
    Name:  Attachment-172092.jpe
Views: 55
Size:  56.8 KB

LOVE that yellow/blue one!

Blog Entries
    The blue & yellow look like a "T " block in one of my books. I'm not sure of the name. :-)
    I don't know the other one , sorry :-(

The first one looks like a simple nine patch. The way it's turned makes it look like it's on point. What a nice keepsake from your great grandmother. Treasure it!
    MLOQuilts in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by debp33
    My mom gave me two sets of quilt blocks. Set one came from my great grandmother. Since my great grandmother passed away more than 40 years ago, I know they're old. Set number two was given to my mom so she doesn't know how old these are.

I've looked through pictures on the internet and in some books I have, but am having a hard time identifying what the blocks are called.

With all the experienced quilters here I'm hoping someone here could easily identify them.

Thank you in advance!
    The second block is called the "double T block. It was made for the Temperance Union movement in the US the was popular from about 1800 to Prohibition. Blocks were made and sold for a few cents to support the movement. Full size quilts would have been made and the signatures of members written on it to be actioned off as well. If you ever find a signed quilt it is worth a great deal of money. If you go to the Quilt in a day website, media center listed under the March posting of quilts of the first ladies you will find a lot of history and a very easy way to cut and assemble this block. www.quiltinaday.com/theater

Quote Originally Posted by mloquilts
    The first one looks like a simple nine patch. The way it's turned makes it look like it's on point. What a nice keepsake from your great grandmother. Treasure it!
    MLOQuilts in OKC
    So is it meant to be turned on it's corner? (As opposed to the way I took the picture.)

#2 is "Capital T" from Household Magazine - Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia ofQuilt Patterns #1662c

I haven't found the first one yet.

Way to go Hen3rietta! I think the first one was called "Hot Crossed Buns" My great gran also had one like that.

It can be turned either way, depending on how it was put together. When a pattern is on point, there are fill-in blocks around the sides, top & bottom. Do a Google search to see examples of on point blocks. You should be able to find them. Seeing is better than for me to try to explain here.
    MLOQuilts :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46
    The second block is called the "double T block. It was made for the Temperance Union movement in the US the was popular from about 1800 to Prohibition. Blocks were made and sold for a few cents to support the movement. Full size quilts would have been made and the signatures of members written on it to be actioned off as well. If you ever find a signed quilt it is worth a great deal of money. If you go to the Quilt in a day website, media center listed under the March posting of quilts of the first ladies you will find a lot of history and a very easy way to cut and assemble this block. www.quiltinaday.com/theater
    Wow, what a great resource the quilt in a day videos are! Thanks for the quick identification. After watching the video, I'm sure it's that Double T. Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast