Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you put invisible thread in the bobbin?? >

Can you put invisible thread in the bobbin??

Can you put invisible thread in the bobbin??

Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM

I want to quilt the top of my quilt with invisible thread, but do not like the bobbin thread showing through. So can you wind your bobbin with invisible thread and quilt both the top and bottom with invisible thread??
Old 05-26-2011, 04:55 PM

I use YLI Wonder Invisible thread in both top & bobbin. Just be careful winding the bobbin that it does not wind too tight. It will crack the plastic bobbins. I've learned to not fill the entire bobbin. Also, don't have the thread going through tension area when winding the bobbin. You can damage your machine.

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I want to quilt the top of my quilt with invisible thread, but do not like the bobbin thread showing through. So can you wind your bobbin with invisible thread and quilt the top and bottom with invisible thread??
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I've done it with mixed results
Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 PM

I have been it 3 ways, invisible on top, color on bottom. Color on top....invisible on bottom. Invisible on both. I think the difference is if you use the common Nylon or use poly mono filament. I use only poly so I don't have to worry about melting the nylon. But you do have to be very carefull when filling the bobbin....but it can be done and done well...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by donnajean
I use YLI Wonder Invisible thread in both top & bobbin. Just be careful winding the bobbin that it does not wind too tight. It will crack the plastic bobbins. I've learned to not fill the entire bobbin. Also, don't have the thread going through tension area when winding the bobbin. You can damage your machine.
Yup. I've done the same thing with the same brand of thread and it works great. I have metal bobbins, but I still fill them only about 3/4ths full. My bobbin winder does not have thread going through the tension area, so I never knew about that particular issue.

Oh, also be sure not to use high speed when winding the bobbin. Wind it medium-to-slowly and steadily. This helps avoid stretching the thread while winding.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 PM

I agree with everyone regarding winding slowly.. but would like to add a suggestion... use a smaller needle , invisable thread is not nearly as thick as regular thread and I have the best results using a very small needle even when quilting through thick layers. The smaller needle also helps when using regular thread in the bobbin to keep the bobbin thread from popping up in those annoying pin point little shows of color.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 PM

One thing that I found works well for me when using invisible thread in the bobbin (I use YLI) is that I wind it onto a bobbin that already has some thread on it. That seems to keep it from winding too tightly and I don't wind it all the way. It is so thin that a small amount gets a decent amount on the bobbin without being full.

I have a Bernina Aurora so I can not adjust the winding speed. I just wind it and watch carefully and don't do too much. Also I adjusted my tension a bit.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean

I want to quilt the top of my quilt with invisible thread, but do not like the bobbin thread showing through. So can you wind your bobbin with invisible thread and quilt the top and bottom with invisible thread??
That's exactly what I was going to say!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

I want to quilt the top of my quilt with invisible thread, but do not like the bobbin thread showing through.
I have quilted with the clear polyester in the top and regular cotton thread in the bobbin. Can't say that the bobbin thread pulled through. It's possible that your tension is off if the bobbin thread shows thru.