Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you serge a curve?

Can you serge a curve?

Can you serge a curve? I was using it to finish the edges of a oven mitt and nearly cut the thumb off of my mitt, it is such a cute mitt....just disgusted. I am new to serging, had a serger for a couple of years but I have not used it much.
    Thanks for your help
    Vicki

Slow but sure wins the race! Do a little at a time!

Blog Entries
    it may be difficult to serge really tight corners where there is not much room to manuver another piece (such as the thumb portion) out of the way. i would suggest that you raise your blades so they dont cut and see if that will helpin that particular area. if you need the blades, serge slowly and carefully fully moving the thumb portion out of the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    it may be difficult to serge really tight corners where there is not much room to manuver another piece (such as the thumb portion) out of the way. i would suggest that you raise your blades so they dont cut and see if that will helpin that particular area. if you need the blades, serge slowly and carefully fully moving the thumb portion out of the way.
    I agree - that's a sharp curve
    http://napquilting.com/
    http://alturl.com/euusk

My GOAL is always to ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Watch some of the Sewing With Nancy videos and she gives instructions on sewing around curves with a serger.

I have been debating if a serger is a good addition to any sewing room

I serge curves all the time. Serge very little at a time, raise your presser foot very often and allow the fabric to "unwrinkle", reposition a little bit and then stitch a little more and raise the presser foot, etc. You may have to do this quite a few times, but it's well worth the final results. Slow and Patient when doing curves on a serger!
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

If you are sewing a lot of clothing I suggest a serger. I would not buy a serger to sew quilts with. The only time I use mine is if I am sewing cloths.
    Lorraine

Blog Entries
    When I am sewing clothing, I use my serger all the time. The secret to serging curves is slow and steady. I am going to try using it for going around the quilt before binding. Might take care of a lot of hanging strings. I also use it to serge the edges of new fabrics before washing them.

Love my serger. She and I sometimes don't get along but with the help of my talented friends, she (my serger) and I do a lot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast