Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric? >

Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric?

Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM

You can make your own like in the links shown above. It works, but precuts are still easier. Sadly, easier isn't always the answer, so give it a whirl.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 PM

I have been working on some Judy Niemeyer Paper piecing patterns. I have been cutting through 12 layers of fabric with my 45 & 60 degree cutters. These are straight lines. I can cut 6-8 if the cutting lines are curved. If you trace your pattern onto freezer paper, you should be able to iron the pattern onto the top piece of material and then pin the rest of the pieces to it, then easily cut at least 6 to 8 at a time with a rotary cutter.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Remember if you don't cut the fabric with something sharp enough, the cutter would probably damage the fabric. I would consider the time involved and how much you'd charge someone to do that kind of tedious work. $50-75 might end up sounding darn cheap .
Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM

And before anyone asks, those large paper punches used by scrapbookers don't work on fabric, not even on fabric with fusible web on it. They jam up and are a real bear to get unjammed.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Some etsy.com vendors will do custom orders. Might be worth it to ask around some of the "stores" that offer pre-cuts to see if they would allow you to send them your fabric to be cut into the desired shape.

You also might check around in your area. Ask at your local LQS & quilting guilds to see if there might be someone that would be willing to either sell you a bit of time on their machine or barter with you. I know there is a lady not too far from where I live that has a die cut machine & hundreds of die cuts. Last I checked, she let people come in & pick out the die & then charged them by the piece to cut it using their own fabric. Only thing you have to be careful about with that is most of the time they do that for paper & I have to wonder if the blades would dull (like scissors or rotary blades) if they've been used a bunch on paper first.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM

I bought a Cricut machine with specific dies solely for the purpose of cutting shapes, letters, etc. out of fabric. Tutorials are online. With the Cricut I also have designated Cricut mats and blades I use for paper cutting only. So its purpose is twofold.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:46 AM

Cookie cutters are not sharp enough to cut fabric, but you can trace around them and then cut out with sharp scissors. The result should be basically the same. If you have a local quilt shop check to see if they have a cutter that you could use.I believe our local one offers one free of charge to its customers.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 AM

I don't think cookie cutters would be sharp enough to cut through fabric. I do however, think you were very clever to think of it.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it would work either since cookie cutters are made to cut cookie dough. You could use them to trace the design on your fabric especially if you are using fusible with a paper backing which is perfect for tracing onto.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:16 AM

I've never tried it;but somehow I don't think it would be sharp enough.