Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you use quilt blocks cut on the bias? >

Can you use quilt blocks cut on the bias?

Can you use quilt blocks cut on the bias?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 AM

Hello anyone out there that might help. I am a sewer from way back...just started getting into quilting. Made 2 quilts so far. I have a quilt top of 2 colored blocks about 10 x 12. Upon taking the quilt blocks apart to reuse it seems that the blocks have been cut on the bias. The block stretches straight edge to straight edge instead of from corner to corner. is there another way to tell if these blocks have been cut on bias? and can i use these blocks for a new quilt top? was thinking of cutting them back to 8 x 8 inch blocks but just not sure how they will go together with that stretch in them? Can someone please advise?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:41 AM

Absolutely - just get out the starch - it will really help keep the fabric from stretching.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 AM

Yes, you can absolutely use quilt blocks cut on the bias. Starch well or use paper backing when sewing the blocks.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

this might help explain grain lines and bias in fabric

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/p/fabricgrain.htm
Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

What a great thing to reuse the quilt blocks. I have sewn blocks cut on the bias. They can be interesting but very usable. Go for it.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Yes. Starch the blocks heavily. Starching stabilizes fabric, including bias edges. I would use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM

stitch onto other fabric (that doesn't show through) that has desired grain. As long as the foundation isn't heavy fabric, the difference in thickness shouldn't even be noticeable. You'd be the only who'd know.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Don't know for sure but can't you just turn your new size square so that the square isn't on the bias your going to make smaller square anyway.
Originally Posted by gdmcc52
Hello anyone out there that might help. I am a sewer from way back...just started getting into quilting. Made 2 quilts so far. I have a quilt top of 2 colored blocks about 10 x 12. Upon taking the quilt blocks apart to reuse it seems that the blocks have been cut on the bias. The block stretches straight edge to straight edge instead of from corner to corner. is there another way to tell if these blocks have been cut on bias? and can i use these blocks for a new quilt top? was thinking of cutting them back to 8 x 8 inch blocks but just not sure how they will go together with that stretch in them? Can someone please advise?
:?: