Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cancer research projects/fundraisers that are quilt related

Senior Member cedarvalleyquilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another post about the shirts off a man's back to make a quilt donated for cancer research got me thinking...are there any specific organized quilting projects that you know of that benefit breast cancer research? I know that Blank Quilting has their Inspiration line to benefit ovarian cancer research. I know about The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative to benefit Alzheimer's research (which I do support), but I'd like to find something specific on breast cancer research to support through my quilting. My Mom is a breast cancer survivor, and if anyone knows of something, please let me know. Maybe I just haven't searched in the right place yet.

Thanks!

Christine

I'm pretty sure Relay for Life has something since they are predominately breast cancer (but also other cancers as well). I just joined our group that will be walking in July, so I'll check it out.

Does anyone know for sure? I would like to know as well.

Blog Entries
    Your local Relay for Life should be able to accept a quilt for an auction. Quilts at ours do well.

We raffled a quilt for Relay For Life a few years ago in memory of our dear friend who died from liver cancer. We really advertised it up and we raised $5000! We were so happy to be able to do that in Debbie's honor.

I've just started loooking into which organization(s) to donate the proceeds of two quilt raffles in October. These two articles about how these charities use the money are worth reading.
    http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20235965,00.html
    http://breastcancer.about.com/od/sup..._charities.htm

Senior Member cedarvalleyquilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for the leads...will definitely check in to these.

Christine

either relay for life or Susan B Komen- breast cancer research are both (fund-raising) organizations benefiting breast cancer- research and care. i've over the years given quilts to both for fund raising raffles, auctions and sales...they usually bring in quite a bit of $$

According to my research, the organization that spends the highest percentage (at 91.5%) of its funds on actual research to prevent and find a cure for breast cancer and on public awareness, is the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, founded by Evelyn Lauder, originator of the Pink Ribbon idea.

Blog Entries
    My aunt had cancer 4 years ago and she is now 82! I want to make her a quilt using her favorite color - purple, which is not the "designated" color for her type of cancer, but I am sure she would love my quilt I would make her.