Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Card Trick Pattern >

Card Trick Pattern

Card Trick Pattern

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM

I really like the card trick pattern but can't seem to find the full pattern. I have found sites that show how to make a block, however, I would like to make a queen sized and just can't find the complete pattern that tells how many blocks and yardages needed per size. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 PM

I'd like to know that too. Only for a king size as well.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
I'd like to know that too. Only for a king size as well.
Glad to know I am not alone. Still dealing with such a "newbie" feeling especially when looking at some of posted quilts.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 PM
cjk

Originally Posted by lovinquilting
I really like the card trick pattern but can't seem to find the full pattern. I have found sites that show how to make a block, however, I would like to make a queen sized and just can't find the complete pattern that tells how many blocks and yardages needed per size. Thanks.
I usually measure my bed then take the size of the block (for example 12X12") multiply it plus any shashing I want between the blocks (for example 2") then I figure out how much of a drop I want on the sides and add borders.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM

Take the finished measurement of the quilt you want to make (say 72" x 96" ) and divide it by the finished measurement of the block (say 12" ) - you would need 6 across and 8 down, for a total of 48 blocks. You can do this for any size quilt. Hope this helps! :)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks. Guess I'm just nervous about doing anything without complete pattern instructions. Was anyone else like that when first starting? Just curious.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:48 PM
cjk

Thanks. Guess I'm just nervous about doing anything without complete pattern instructions. Was anyone else like that when first starting? Just curious.
Yep! I thought I had to have a pattern for everything and even went by the fabric choices. I trust myself more now.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by cjk
Yep! I thought I had to have a pattern for everything and even went by the fabric choices. I trust myself more now.
Maybe I'll get there one day!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

You could always buy Eleanor Burns book. go to her site www.quiltinaday.com and it will be listed. Real easy to do and all sizes are in the book.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM

When I first started to quilt, I also needed something to tell me how many blocks, how much fabric, and how to sew everything together. But, after a few quilts, and learning how to use Electric Quilt, I can take any block, make it what ever size I want, and make a quilt as large or as small as I want, with a few clicks of my mouse. Sure, I could do the math, but if I change my mind, and decide I want to add sashing, or alter a border, I can see immediately what those changes would do to the size of my quilt, and know if it would work or if I need to change something else.

I stopped buying patterns after I learned how to use EQ, and I'm learning more and more about the program the more I use it, and can design more complicated quilts if I wanted to. So the savings in patterns alone, to me was worth the cost of the program. Plus, I am addicted to computer programs, if there is one that will make things easier for me, even if it takes some time to learn the program, I would buy the program in a heartbeat. LOL