Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Care Instructions when Gifting a Quilt >

Care Instructions when Gifting a Quilt

Care Instructions when Gifting a Quilt

Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 PM

I was just reading the thread about prewashing a quilt a quilt before gifting it. One lady mentioned that she includes care instructions.

This sounds like an excellent idea. For those of you who do include care instructions when you gift a quilt, would you be willing to share your instructions and how you pass those instructions along? Do you use the care instructions that are available as printed sheets with some brands of batting, print you own on the computer or maybe put them on a gift card?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Maybe just include them on the label, that way they won't be misplaced.
Some people also tuck scraps of fabric under the labels in case the quilt needs a repair in the future.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM

I have done it by making a pillowcase style bag to hold the quilt and used the clear plastic stuff to make a pocket on the front. (I think you can buy that stuff at Joann's or Walmart. I got mine at Goodwill.) Then I typed up a care/instruction sheet that also included stuff I was thinking of when I made the quilt, why I chose the pattern/colors for them, etc. It can be slid into the clear pocket and the quilt can be stored in the bag so it's all together. You could just use a pillowcase if the quilt would fit into one.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Lisa T, that's an excellent idea. I particularly like your suggestion of writing down why you picked that pattern for that person.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
Lisa T, that's an excellent idea. I particularly like your suggestion of writing down why you picked that pattern for that person.

Thanks! It usually makes them cry... heh, heh, heh!

*evil smile*
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Deliciously Evil.......I like that!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM

I know, right? We quilters are such mean folk... LOL!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM

I found the last one I gave at a wedding. This was for a Christmas zigzag quilt.

Here is some random information about your new handmade quilt.
I chose a zigzag pattern because it’s a fun pattern and you are both fun people! I tried to choose happy, cheerful fabrics so that you smile when you use the quilt.
I know that you guys are into recycling and being kind to Mother Earth. A couple of the zigzags in here are made from vintage fabric. The white fabric with green polka dots was given to my mom by Uncle Sonny’s new wife, Doris. She got it at an auction and gave it to my mom, but I stole it right away for this quilt. It was perfect!
Cotton fabric has a life span of 80 years, so as long as you are kind to it, this quilt will last as long as your marriage! Speaking of which, please wash in cold water, gentle cycle. It has not been washed yet, so you may choose to do that right away to remove the sizing on the fabric. If you dry your quilt in a clothes dryer it will get a nice, sort of crinkly old-fashioned look. If you want it to stay more crisp, like it looks now, just wash and hang dry, and then iron. (I personally like the crinkly look.)
For stains I find that an oxygen-based cleaner works best. Just soak it in a tub and then wash as normal. If you store your quilt in a cotton pillowcase or the case that it came in, it will last longer and the colors will stay brighter. Try not to close it up in a Rubbermaid type of tote as it can’t breathe in there.
I hope that you can use this quilt for many many Christmases and that all the future little Olives will remember snuggling under it to watch A Christmas Story!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

That is wonderful. I'm going to start doing that too. Great tip.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Pam

Thanks! It usually makes them cry... heh, heh, heh!

*evil smile*[/quote]

Quilts should always be made to withstand tears! Good way to see if it is up to the challenge!