Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: care of quilts?

How do you all take care of the quilts you make? How do you wash them? I want to have people use the quilts I make so I worry about thread and fabric quality vs cost to make. I have some old quilts and wont use then because I dont want to have to wash them! which seems a waste of someones hard work. I've saved up about 60 lbs of old jeans, lol, to make denim quilts for guys - I have it stuck in my head denim is more rugged for general guy use!

I use better quality fabrics and threads. I also wash all my quilts before they go out the door. The one's I have around the house and the one's that I have made for my (now) adult children all get washed periodically in my Front loading washer and thrown in the dryer on low.

WOW

Blog Entries
    I know the ones I have made are all totally washable and can go in the dryer too :D:D:D

I try to only sew in cotton, so you just throw them in the wash and dry. OK, I can do this - I wash "quilted for the dollar store" stuff all the time, mainly cus SO thought a 15$ quilt was a bargain and now the 2 pieces it fell into are dog blankets, lol, but the 2 pieces have held up

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I'm going to talk about your old quilts, since you got good advice on the subject of the ones we make.
    I have many antique quilts. I rotate them around the house, on quilt racks, etc and use them. I also wash and dry them very carefully. It really is a shame to just store them away!
    I sometimes sleep under some of my old ones too :)