Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter's Star

Can anybody give me the dimensions for the Queen sized Carpenter's Star quilt blocks? I have the pattern but it calls for 3.5 in squares finished and I want a Star that will cover the whole bedtop, not many seperate blocks. I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks

Blog Entries
    my EQ shows the center of a queen to be 77" square. i'm not sure how to help you with your question. do you mean how big the squares are with that pattern in queen sized?

I'm the same. I wanted just one big star. I tried it on a throw. I just drew out what I wanted and I used 5" finished squares. Next time I will do 10" squares and see how large that makes it. ;) Not sure if this is a Carpenter's Star exclusively or not but I really liked it. Just squares and HST. Very easy! ;)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-160412-1.htm

I just used 8 1/2 inch squares and while it is big it won't fit a queen size bed.

I think Debbie Maddy from Calico Carriage has a pattern that uses the larger squares. I have a broken star pattern from her that measures 92"x92", uses no diamonds or 'y' seams is made of half square tirangle units and background squares.

Blog Entries
    This site has a chart at the bottom. Your Star is only 8 blocks across, so if you want the star on top of a 60" wide mattress, the blocks will need to finish at 7 1/2". Then you can border it from there.
    http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html

Isn't a queen mattress 60X80?

Here is my lap size one. The center has 6" finished blocks, so it was 48" and then I added from there. Not big enough for a queen, of course.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-158183-1.htm

Banned
    When you say star covers the whole top not sure this is what you meant but here's one I did that measures 70 x 70. The pattern has queen directions if you want me to look them up for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I used 6" finished sizes. My star without any borders measures 48". Don't know if this will help or not.

Blog Entries
    I love the double version right at the bottom of the link.

Take the width of your bed and divide by 8. This will give you the finished size of the blocks. Then add seam allowances. I'm planning a king size carpenters star quilt but I am using individual star blocks. On a king size with one star the squares would be huge and I think the pattern would be lost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast