Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Carpet Cutters for rotary cutters.

Gosh, Maybe I just need to buy a new rotary cutter. I bought some of the cheaper carpet cutter blades and mine are just awful. I bought 3- 2packs from Harbor Freight and they skip and won't cut. Do you all really think they are good. Like I said, my cutter is old. :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    I like them. Granted every once in a great while I will get a blade that has a little nick in it and I just put duct tape around it and put it in my sharps disposable container. I figure for a buck or less, I am not losing any money. Don't give up on them just yet. You could have just gotten a bad package which I don't think happens too often.

Blog Entries
    Can't imagine the cutter itself is bad, it is the blade that cuts-could it be your board? I find that if I have even a little grit or anything on my board, it skips even with a new blade. I have an older (about 8 years) board and even though I clean it carefully, if I hit certain spots, my cutter skips. Sometimes, though, you can get a bad blade, I guess. I doubt they are manufactured to the highest standards that Olfa, Dritz, etc are.

I also found my problem was my board. Changed the board and the blades cut well.

Blog Entries
    I have found that sometimes it's not the blade but the cutting mat....mostly if I'm using the same area of the mat for most of my cuts. I either get a new mat, turn it over and use the back side or move to another area of the mat. Sometimes I also don't give it quite enough pressure. I have gotten brand name bad blades too, That really hurts at $5 a blade:) Besure you are cutting on a firm surface. One quilter I know was cutting using her mat on the carpet...Not firm enough for good cuts. Hope you find what works for you:)

You will find other threads on here about Harbor Freight cutting blades. There are different opinions. I bought 12 blades and not one would cut fabric. I have been using one to cut paper. Other people say they are the best thing going. I tried all of the tricks they suggested, cutting on a hard surface, new mat, cleaning off the oil, etc etc. If you do a search under Harbor Freight you will find every opinion/solution possible. Happy reading.

Blog Entries
    I have had great luck with mine :D:D:D

I love them. For sometimes less than a dollar just toss it, pop a new one in. My board is old too. I will rethink the blade I tossed. thanks

Mine seem to work fine so far.

Blog Entries
    I like them, sometimes they get dull a little quicker, but for that price, it's still a good deal!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast