Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window - by hand? >

Cathedral Window - by hand?

Cathedral Window - by hand?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
If you'd consider combining machine and hand sewing, I would suggest watching the youtube video on: faux cathedral window blocks. You can make the block foundation by machine, then handsew the windows. You could either machine or handsew the blocks together.
This way you could make several blocks ahead of time and carry them with you for the handwork.
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 AM

When I made mine I machine sewed the squares then hand wipped them together also when color was inserted did that by hand too. Took looooooong time to finish
Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 AM

I made one by hand-took me a year to finish it-was queen size and turned out beautiful. I worked on it while waiting for kids in lessons and in the evening watching TV. I also finished one up for my sisters friend-she had started one but couldn't finish it because of arthritis, so I finished it up for her.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ellie'sNana
I looked at Eddie's turorial on the Cathedral Window (fantastic tute!). While not reading every single post under it, I am wondering if anyone here has made this quilt by hand. I am curious as to the type of stitch to join the squares, and the points of the squares in the center of each block. Any tips on construction, etc? Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas/advice!
I did backstitch to join & running stitch for windows. My first "block" I did completely by hand this way. Since, I am machine sewing the blocks & hand stitching the windows. My opinion, the backstitch or machine makes it stronger. I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Happy Sewing! :)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-133552-1.htm
Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by doll-lady
i have done a cathedral window quilt. it was a large one-probably would fit a queen size bed very good. i made it by hand with cast over stitches. mine was made in blocks that were potholder size. it took me over 60 yards of muslin and then i used scraps for the windows. it took me 5 years working on it. my husband played softball alot on the weekends and i would take it with me. it caught everyone's attention where i went and i could do it in rows where i didn't have to take the whole quilt along with me. i made it for my son but he has not accepted it yet. he leaves it with me because he is afraid something will happen to it and he knows how much work i put into it.
Would love to see a pic!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:27 AM

eddies cathedral windows tut?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ellie'sNana
I looked at Eddie's turorial on the Cathedral Window (fantastic tute!). While not reading every single post under it, I am wondering if anyone here has made this quilt by hand. I am curious as to the type of stitch to join the squares, and the points of the squares in the center of each block. Any tips on construction, etc? Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas/advice!
Yes, I made one by hand (queen sized). I also made one by machine. I am convinced that the one by machine is superior in every way. So my advice would be to consider doing it by machine unless you need a hand project while you are traveling, etc.