Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window-Join the Journey >

Cathedral Window-Join the Journey

Cathedral Window-Join the Journey

Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Google Goddess

please show us yours

Originally Posted by sewobsessed1
I've already finished a queen by hand for my daughter and in the middle of a queen by hand for me, so I won't be joining in, but I'll be eagerly reading along on everyone's progress!
They really are wonderfully fun . . . Happy stitching everyone :)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Here ya go, craftybear.
I sewed them together in separate diamonds of purple and green. She really likes purple :) Please ignore the fold lines - it has been stored away for quite a while.

The back. I was really pleased that I figured out how to get the stitches to not show.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217716[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217708.jpe   attachment-217709.jpe   attachment-217710.jpe  
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by sewobsessed1
I've already finished a queen by hand for my daughter and in the middle of a queen by hand for me, so I won't be joining in, but I'll be eagerly reading along on everyone's progress!
They really are wonderfully fun . . . Happy stitching everyone :)
Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing! Feel free to jump in any time for a visit, we are glad that you plan to keep stopping by!

With the blocks I have done thus far, I have not gone all the way through. I am starting to rethink that decision. I did not prewash my muslin because I am wanting the wrinkled vintage look after i wash once completed. I know it is a matter of personal preference, but I am still undecided. I am wondering if the effect I am looking for will be as pronounced if I do not go all the way through. Your thoughts on this would be welcomed?

I am attaching a picture of one of my blocks so you all can see what material choice I have made. Please keep in mind, this is one of my first blocks :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217811.jpe  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Here is the link for the page I have started for this project. It has a list of those on this journey as well as tutorial links. More info will be added as we go.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=4669

There are several tutorials and different techniques to make this so I would read through them to see what you think. Personally some seem more difficult to me than others, but that is just me.

For this project, I will go through the method I have found the easiest to understand and accomplish but still trying to stay in the traditional technique.

Note for those who have never done a CW: there is no batting or backing needed. The concept is fold, press, & sew. You will end up with several layers of folds in your blocks which will make it heavier. This is a quilt as you go. We will work in 9" block sections for ease.

Decisions to make before hand:

1. What fabric do you want to use? Muslin, Cotton, etc. (solid) and your print. Do you want to only use one print or several? Are you wanting to create an effect? Holiday colors? Let the creativity flow!
I personally have chosen to use contrasting colors and using only one print. My fabric type is unbleached muslin for the solid and cotton for the print.

2. What size do you want your finished block? I'm going to be honest and say I'm still learning the figuring out the measurements for different size blocks.
For this project, we are going to end up with a 9" finished block. Then we will connect blocks together to the desired size you are wanting. Therefore, cut 4 (9.5 inch squares out of your solid) and 4 (2.5 inch squares out of your print)

3. Do you want the wrinkled vintage look when done? If so, do not prewash your solid. I recommend pre washing your print, though and ironing it before you cut your small squares. With that being said, if you are planning to use something other than white, cream, or muslin as your solid, I would highly recommend pre washing it as well. I would be afraid of color bleed. This is just my opinion.

4. Do you want your stitches to show on the back? I believe this will also aid in the wrinkled vintage effect once washed. i have not completed to be able to confirm or deny this.

5. Do you want your stitches to visually stand out on your windows? Or do you want them to blend with your background color?

Think about your answers to these questions and I will close for now. Let your creativity run wild! I look forward to hearing what you have decided!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Hey everyone! How are your decisions coming? I am anxious to hear what everyone has come up with! Remember: there is no right or wrong way to do this. What works for one may not work for another. If you search the forums and the internet, you will find many different methods. I am no expert by any means! I am a beginner and have so much respect for all the talented people in the quilting world! I have a thirst for knowledge and encourage everyone to voice their input whether it be constructive criticism, tips, advice, opinions.. all are welcomed with a :) I have a whole lot to learn myself!

With that being said, the reason I had started this thread/project was to share a method that I found easy as a beginner. I was so excited to be able to accomplish this. I used to think it was impossible for someone w/as little knowledge of sewing as I to be able to do it. Needless to say, my finished product may not be as beautiful as the more experienced quilter, but I am proud of myself :) I want to show other beginners that they can do this, too!

Let us know if you are joining the journey or just following along. We are more than glad to have all of you and welcome your input with tons of gratitude :) We are going to take it nice and slow.. one step at a time.

Todays to do: Cut 4 (9.5" square of solid) and 4 (2.5" square of print) Iron using steam.

Tip: I used a 9.5 inch square ruler to make that size cut.

I will have pictures posted tomorrow of the folding process. I have to update my photo program and pull them off of the camera.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Google Goddess

thanks, I need to go to my sewing room and figure out what fabric I am going to use

Originally Posted by TeresaPendino
Hey everyone! How are your decisions coming? I am anxious to hear what everyone has come up with! Remember: there is no right or wrong way to do this. What works for one may not work for another. If you search the forums and the internet, you will find many different methods. I am no expert by any means! I am a beginner and have so much respect for all the talented people in the quilting world! I have a thirst for knowledge and encourage everyone to voice their input whether it be constructive criticism, tips, advice, opinions.. all are welcomed with a :) I have a whole lot to learn myself!

With that being said, the reason I had started this thread/project was to share a method that I found easy as a beginner. I was so excited to be able to accomplish this. I used to think it was impossible for someone w/as little knowledge of sewing as I to be able to do it. Needless to say, my finished product may not be as beautiful as the more experienced quilter, but I am proud of myself :) I want to show other beginners that they can do this, too!

Let us know if you are joining the journey or just following along. We are more than glad to have all of you and welcome your input with tons of gratitude :) We are going to take it nice and slow.. one step at a time.

Todays to do: Cut 4 (9.5" square of solid) and 4 (2.5" square of print) Iron using steam.

Tip: I used a 9.5 inch square ruler to make that size cut.

I will have pictures posted tomorrow of the folding process. I have to update my photo program and pull them off of the camera.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

what a great idea as I have been thinking of making a cathedral window for a while...my question would be this: I would like to make a handbag (or purse I think you call it) and use the cathedral window blocks in it. Would denim be too heavy a material to sew through? I have a blue batik with fish on it which I know my friend would love but have nothing else but denim to go with it.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM

I was given several nice panels and someone suggested I do CW but when I looked at a pattern I was scared of it!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM

I was given several nice panels and someone suggested I do CW but when I looked at a pattern I was scared of it!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by blahel
what a great idea as I have been thinking of making a cathedral window for a while...my question would be this: I would like to make a handbag (or purse I think you call it) and use the cathedral window blocks in it. Would denim be too heavy a material to sew through? I have a blue batik with fish on it which I know my friend would love but have nothing else but denim to go with it.
What a cute idea! Personally, I don't think the denim will be too bad to get through with this particular method. You can do one block and see how it goes. I would recommend not going all the way through to the back when we get to that part. I will show you how to accomplish that :). You are more than welcomed to hop on our journey to try it out :) We would love to have you!