Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window - Slightly Different Way >

Cathedral Window - Slightly Different Way

Cathedral Window - Slightly Different Way

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Years ago I made some sample squares using Cathedral Window (CW) using a method that was slightly different than the ways shown in most videos and tutorials. I'm wondering if I do it that way or if there's a reason it's not done more often.

Here's the method:
Instead of folding the Big square in half and seaming both sides etc., you press under a 1/4" all the way around the square. With the wrong side of the fabric facing up, fold square diagonally (wrong sides together) and press. Open and repeat for the other diagonal. Open the square up keeping the 1/4" hem. With wrong side facing up (right side facing down on ironing board), use the diagonals as guides and fold and press the 4 corners to the center. Do not open this smaller square up. Now fold and press the next 4 corners to the center again. Voila! you have the same square you'd get the more common way shown in most videos.

If this method works, I then wonder if you even need to press that 1/4" hem all the way around. Can anybody tell me if this 1/4" is needed to help keep the fabric from fraying with use and laundering?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wazzy
Years ago I made some sample squares using Cathedral Window (CW) using a method that was slightly different than the ways shown in most videos and tutorials. I'm wondering if I do it that way or if there's a reason it's not done more often.

Here's the method:
Instead of folding the Big square in half and seaming both sides etc., you press under a 1/4" all the way around the square. With the wrong side of the fabric facing up, fold square diagonally (wrong sides together) and press. Open and repeat for the other diagonal. Open the square up keeping the 1/4" hem. With wrong side facing up (right side facing down on ironing board), use the diagonals as guides and fold and press the 4 corners to the center. Do not open this smaller square up. Now fold and press the next 4 corners to the center again. Voila! you have the same square you'd get the more common way shown in most videos.

If this method works, I then wonder if you even need to press that 1/4" hem all the way around. Can anybody tell me if this 1/4" is needed to help keep the fabric from fraying with use and laundering?
Could you do a tutorial? I really work better with pic's and maybe others do too. 8-)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by icon17
Originally Posted by Wazzy

Here's the method:

Could you do a tutorial? I really work better with pic's and maybe others do too. 8-)

Yes..I also need a visual!! Thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Seems your method is how I learned how to do the CW. I thought it was the traditional way of making the block from long ago.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:15 AM

Icon, Bobbie and any others - I will work on getting some pictures posted; just give me some time to figure it out ;-).
Sorry I didn't think of doing that before.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 AM

This is how my DM made her CW quilt over 30+ years ago. I think she still has the written directions from her quilting buddy(that has been gone almost this long).
Old 01-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Here are the pictures showing what I tried to describe earlier.

#1 Fabric Square with 1/4 inch turned up and pressed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152158[/ATTACH]

#2 One corner folded over and pressed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152159[/ATTACH]

#3 Both corners have been folded over and fold is pressed. Then opened showing pressed diagonals.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152160[/ATTACH]

#4 Now folding over one corner and pressing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152161[/ATTACH]

#5 All four corners have been folded over and pressed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152162[/ATTACH]

#6 Now fold over and press these 4 corners.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152163[/ATTACH]

#7 All 4 corners turned up and pressed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152167[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152153.jpe   attachment-152154.jpe   attachment-152155.jpe   attachment-152156.jpe   attachment-152157.jpe  

attachment-152158.jpe   attachment-152162.jpe  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:06 PM

It ends up basically the same as sewn only it's not sewn. I plan to use this method next time I make one.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM

These are some pictures of what it looks like without turning up 1/4 inch at the beginning.

#1 I've already pressed the two diagonals and opened up the square.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152169[/ATTACH]

#2 All 4 corners folded in and pressed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152170[/ATTACH]

#3 All 4 of the second set of corners folded in and pressed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152171[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152164.jpe   attachment-152165.jpe   attachment-152166.jpe  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM

What I'm noticing is that if the square isn't perfectly "square" you don't get the nice crisp corners you will need to. Maybe by doing it the other way (folding in half and sewing the two ends, etc.) this takes care of that problem.
Any thoughts?