Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ceiling tile or foam insulation design wall - anyone have one? >

Ceiling tile or foam insulation design wall - anyone have one?

Ceiling tile or foam insulation design wall - anyone have one?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:05 AM

I sprayed glue indoors ONCE. It wasn't basting glue but was a repositionable craft glue, and even though I was just spraying a very small wall hanging and I tried to keep it confined by putting it down inside a cardboard box, the fine spray seemed to get everywhere!! It made a tacky film over a whole area of my crafting room and even my carpet felt kind of 'gunky' in the area directly below the table I was working on. Plus I could taste it in the air, which is not a good sign. (Glue in the lungs CAN'T be good for me...) I think basting spray is probably less intense but still....never again!! I have some basting spray and a king size quilt I intend to use it on...I'm going to lay a tarp on the driveway and do it there and I also plan to wear a mask. Might be overkill (and I'm sure the neighbors will be perplexed and/or amused) but better safe than sorry!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Make sure you are using temporary basting spray not a reposistional glue spray. I don't spray all over and I spray close to the quilt when inside. I use a quilt stand, the kind used by photographers for backdrop, to hold the quilt for basting outside when the weather is right. That works okay and the stand is easy to store. I want one of the new standing basting frames when they are sold in the US. Right now they are sold in Australia.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Someone I know has a design wall made out of foam insulation boards. These are one-inch thick and blue. I think the foam boards are better for this than styrofoam boards since styrofoam is more prone to shedding particles and pieces. Her son-in-law encased the foam insulation boards in 2x4's, with the bottom boards sticking out maybe 4 inches (so the foam board is not on the floor). Works great! She has it propped up against a wall and covered with a flannel sheet. She can pin right into it when the flannel isn't enough to hold.

For spray basting, I personally would set up a separate system to use outside on the driveway or in the garage. I tried doing it on a wall exactly once, and found it more difficult than working flat. My recommendation is to purchase a couple of inexpensive lightweight saw horses and a piece of plywood for spray basting. It's easy to set up, easy to break down, and does not take up much storage space in the garage. I would also get 4 of these clamps at the hardware store:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...914-c-9135.htm
I *love* mine! They make clamping so easy.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 AM

I have tso 4x8 foam insulation boards on my wall in the hall, covered with batting. It is WONDERFUL! I use it for my design wall. In the garage I put two flannel backed tablecloths together and hung them and planned to do my spraying there. I did it one time. I put newspapers down to catch the overspray and the newspaper stuck to my feet and it wasn't a pretty sight. I think spraying on a flat horizontal surface is the best. And use LOTS of ventilation if you are inside. Best to do it outside, I'm sure.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 AM

Thank you everyone for your input.
I went to Lowes and Home Depot yesterday... actually two Lowes. The first one had what I thought would be perfect but it was one of my first stops for my day so I figured I'd pick it up on my way home at a different Lowes... Yeah, you guessed it. They had different stuff at the second Lowes! I'll head over there one day this week and pick it up out there. I was able to score a cream colored flannel sheet at a second hand store. It should be big enough for one of the panels but not both so it looks like I'll wrap each insulation sheet separately. No biggie. I do like the idea of making a frame to go behind the insulation so that I can just have it standing along the wall instead of being directly mounted on to the wall. I'll talk to hubby and see which way he would prefer

I hope to get my new design wall up and being used soon! I'll take pictures and post here and in the missionrganization area. I've been wanting to show off pictures of my new, clean craft room anyway

Thanks again, everyone!