Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Celebration Sampler (Shop Hop) question >

Celebration Sampler (Shop Hop) question

Celebration Sampler (Shop Hop) question

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM

For those of you who have started piecing the blocks, what size are they turning out to be? Mine are all just about 9 inches...but I'm confused because the instructions say "finished size: 9 inches" I thought that means once it's all pieced together as a quilt top the block will be 9" (so it would measure 9.5 now if that were correct)

I'm also struggling to get the half square triangles to match up with the cut squares and rectangles. (joining a hst square to a regular square...the hat squares seem to be too small). I'm using my 1/4 inch foot for everything. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 PM

When there is a lot of pieces to sew together in a block - we were taught to use a scant 1/4 inch - a really scant 1/4 inch maybe be the cure.

Janet
Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 PM

I'm also struggling to get the half square triangles to match up with the cut squares and rectangles. And its driving me INSANE. I have 7 blocks finished and they are measuring at just a fraction over 9 inches too. I am wondering if its not an error in the pattern also. Hmmm. No matter what, I am going to finish this quilt even if I have to trim them all down to 9 inches.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 AM

I'm doing the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt and the blocks are supposed to finish at 6 1/2". All mine have finished at 6 1/4" (except 1 or 2). I figure since they're all the same size I can adjust the sashing and border sizes to fit my blocks. If they were all different I'd be concerned. If yours are all the same, the quilt should work out just fine. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 AM

As long as they are all the same size you should be ok. If you want to you can add sashings to make the top larger when you have them all ready. Good luck. Can't wait to see the final result!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I'm also struggling to get the half square triangles to match up with the cut squares and rectangles. And its driving me INSANE. I have 7 blocks finished and they are measuring at just a fraction over 9 inches too. I am wondering if its not an error in the pattern also. Hmmm. No matter what, I am going to finish this quilt even if I have to trim them all down to 9 inches.
That's what I was thinking about doing too...I finished through the Dublin Chain last night and figured I would just square them up to 9 inches when it came time to put them together. I think since there's sashing between the blocks on the finished quilt, we'll be okay but since this is my first machine pieced one I was a little worried! (Maybe I was a little too ambitious...but other than that they're looking good)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM

I've learned not to try the fabhopshop patterns too soon. They usually come out with some corrections before the end of the month. It usually takes me quite a while to get started anyway :D
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM

I have the patterns on the blocks but can't see anywhere how much of each fabric I would need. Has anyone been able to figure this out? Sorry to hijack your thread just anxious to start this also.