Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cell phone and quilting >

Cell phone and quilting

Cell phone and quilting

Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the good ideas ladies. I knew a few of them and learned of a few new ones. The only one that was sort of alluded to, that I knew, is if you are disassembling something (possibly the bobbin area) to deep clean, take a picture before you start and before you lift out each piece so on the return trip you have a pic of how it is supposed to look. That's got to be an invaluable one - ask me how I know! Situation that birthed this thread.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I still have one of the old flip phones and the best I can do is take a picture.
I don't think that I can afford all the extras with the smart phones (time and usage).
I had a Tracphone flip phone that didn't have much on it, no camera. I now have their "smartphone" with camera & other goodies. The phone was around $35.00. It came with 3x minutes & since it isn't my 'lifeline', I run out of days before minutes.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:31 AM

Interested where you find this bargain. I have a flip phone but my kids keep telling me I need to modernize.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:18 AM

I do it all the time.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:26 AM

Thank you for asking this question. The answers and comments are helpful and interesting.

I do a lot of research on mine. We travel and it's a simple, off the cuff sort of way to find and preview quilt shops. Depending on where you find yourself, that "preview" business is a time and effort saver. I look at the dynamics involved in the actual fabric but I also look at stuff that has to do with the store and how it's run and how it presents itself. All that is probably all me but it sometimes makes a real difference in what I can expect to find when I walk in the door.

Another thing I use the phone for is figuring out where traffic tie ups are located. It helps me avoid accident areas as well as the places that road work is causing slow downs. It also tells me whether it's worth the effort to figure out an alternative route or I could equally well just "tough" the problem through. Helpful when I'm on a voyage of discovery especially if I am going to be on my own.

Again everyone, thanks.

Alvie
Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 AM

My machine is calibrated in mm. I ask the phone to convert to inches so I know how large the embroidery image will be. I guess eventually I'll catch on, but right now my phone is an important part of sewing! Who'd have thought?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:40 AM

What is the name of the MSQC app???
Old 10-02-2016, 10:59 AM

If I see a quilt on t.v. I will get my phone and take a picture of it or on the the computer I will take a picture.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
What is the name of the MSQC app???
I did a search for "Missouri Star Quilt Company app" and found it for both Android and Apple. Google is your friend.

It's called Quilting Tutorials by Missouri Star Quilt Company.