Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cemo quilts

Cemo quilts

I would like to make a quilt for a cemo patient, would a regular quilt weigh to much is they have had surgery?

Blog Entries
    Here's a great thread. Some of the comments and suggestions are by former patients:

What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

When my husband went thugh chemo treatments he was always cold. He didn't have any complaints regarding weight of his bed covers. He just piled them on.

Blog Entries
    I make them all the time. Size is based in height if human plus one foot. Width is proportionate and increased if human is more fluffy. I like to use high loft batting and low loft fleece or minky for the backing. It's nice to make a tote bag to put the quilt in so the can take it wit them to chemo appointments.

Wine shot out of my nose when I read "increased if human is more fluffy"
    Sandra B

Blog Entries
    There is a site dated September 9, 2011, mastectomy pillow instructions. I have used this site for pillows for friends and it really has great visual and printed instructions. The pillow has a pouch so it can be used for a warm/cold packs for swelling, etc. The bag is a shoulder type, fits nicely under a light jacket and not really noticable. I needed one for a lumpectomy I had and it really was a great comfort, in bed or just sitting, it keep you comfortable.

I also made a single bed quilt for a friend who is 4 ft. 11 in. and use both cotton on top and back. I light batting for the centre. She said it was comfortable and warm. Hope this helps. Your friend will appreciate your efforts. Marge

thank you for your replies!

I was given a chemo quilt and it was the best gift I ever received. I'm short and not fluffy, I have a tiny little old lady recliner. My husband measured the width of my recliner and the quilt was made a little wider than the recliner, that way I didn't have lots of extra fabric to get caught up in with my drains and pillow. It's been 11 years and I still use that quilt almost daily even in the summer. It's so comforting even all these years later.