Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Centering a pieced backing >

Centering a pieced backing

Centering a pieced backing

Old 01-16-2017, 04:49 AM

I work on my dining room table and line up the top edge and one side of the back at the edge of the table. Next the batting on top, with an even 6" overhang on the top and the same side. Then the front of the quilt lined up at the top and side edges again. Next I lift each corner and spray basting spray onto each layer.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I work on my dining room table and line up the top edge and one side of the back at the edge of the table. Next the batting on top, with an even 6" overhang on the top and the same side. Then the front of the quilt lined up at the top and side edges again. Next I lift each corner and spray basting spray onto each layer.
e

I like that! My table isn't very big and I suspect that the quilt would slide straight off, but maybe I could put my large cutting mat on it first.... Thankyou.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I watched my friend fold her quilts tops, batting and backing right sides together in quarters. She would lightly press the centers. Then unfold to line up with the center. Then got her largest square ruler and make cross lines and diagonal "X" for corner to corner. then she would do a Sharon Schamber hounds tooth baste stitch. She used this method whether hand quilting or machine (dsm).
Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I fold each piece of the "sandwich" in half the long way and mark the centers with a pin, then fold them in half the other direction and mark centers with a pin. As I smooth out each layer I center them on the pins. This is the process I use whether the backing is pieced or not. This way I know I won't end up with one side being too short or something. If I were to do sandwiching on the floor, I would stabilize each layer with painter's tape as I smoothed it out. I do have a table that works for me, but I still use the tape on the backing until I get it pinned. Good luck with your pieced backing, it should work for you!
this is how i learned to do all my quilts, big or small, from a book years ago. i think the book by joe cunningham & gwen marsten on basic quilt making is the best book ever written for beginner quilters. or even experienced quilters.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Success! I've got the quilt together and the centres of top and back are perfectly aligned. I put my largest cutting mat in the middle of the floor, because I was working on a carpet, and taped a button on it at the centre point. I then measured and marked the centres of each side of back, batting and top with chalk so that I could line everything up, and placed the backing with the centre over the button. I taped the back to the floor with the tape in line with the markings, so that could be an extra check. It helped that I'd added several extra inches to the size of the back, knowing that sandwiching was going to be tricky. I could then cut the batting slightly smaller than the back, which made it easier to see and line up my marked centres.
Thanks to everyone who gave me their tips and advice. It was a big help, and I'm hoping that, pieced back or not, I won't dread putting my quilts together in future.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Love the idea of the button, annesthreads. I have read about that before but had forgotten about it. Glad for the reminder.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Love the idea of the button, annesthreads. I have read about that before but had forgotten about it. Glad for the reminder.
Youre welcome! I don't have toothpicks, which were also suggested, so hit on the idea of using a button or a small bottle top.
I also put two pins crossways through the centre of the backing, positioned to cross each other at at the centre point. That could also be felt through the layers, as an extra check.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Remember to femove the pins while easy to get at!
Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Thanks for such a clear description. One silly question - when do you take the pins out? I tried this once and couldn't get at the pin in the batting to remove it ☹️Obviously should have done it sooner!
Oh, ya, that would be bad! Actually, the way I do it the pins are on the very outer edges of the fabrics and batting are both over-sized, compared to the top. So, I just remove the pins when I get the whole thing stabilized by pinning. I am a pin baster, too.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Remember to femove the pins while easy to get at!
��Oh yes, got that one wrong before now! Not this time. Pins go through the right side of the backing, i.e. on the outside of the quilt, so they can be pulled out when you've finished!