Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Centre of Dresden Plate Color? >

Centre of Dresden Plate Color?

Centre of Dresden Plate Color?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 AM

Question Centre of Dresden Plate Color?

I am working on the dresden plate, now I am trying to decide on the color of the circle in the centre. What has everyone else done. I have one block laying on the floor on the background block, there is so much color in the blades that maybe a plain color would work best? The plate itself is big, the template I used was with an 8 inch blade. So the centre is going to be very prominent. Thanks for any help. With the change in the board have a little more trouble doing searches, I do to the archives, a search is not that great, unless I am doing something wrong.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 AM

Judy, I read somewhere that the traditional color for Dresden Plate centers is blue. I am currently working on a DP and decided to go with the traditional royal blue center. I like it, but I think another color choice might have enhanced the plate colors better.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 AM

Isn't that funny with the blue. Last year I picked up some fat quarters from a vendor (who I knew) at a quilt show. I told her my intentions were to do a dresden plate. She asked if I had the centres, I said no I had not decided on that, she then followed with, well you know dresden plates are traditionally yellow, as she showed me an array of yellows. I bought a couple. lol.... I have to try some blue on top of it and see how that looks. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 AM

I have a friend that put black in the center of her dresden plates. They were colorful and the black worked great. It would not of even crossed my mind to use black. I was once told that if you put a dark color in the center of a Lone Star, it would draw your eye. If you put a light color, the center recedes and you focus more on the edge. This principle would probably work the same way with a dresden plate. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 AM
dd

What color is your background fabric? Can you post a pic of the plate? That might help us decide what color would go best. If you leave it open, does that make it a different block? I have seen pink on the one my sister has.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 AM

My Grandma made a lot of DP's and she always used yellow in the middle.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 AM

LOL, I used white for mine and I really liked it. My great grandma always used light purple for her dresdens and fans. I guess you can use whatever color works for you!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 AM

I only used 5 different prints for my Dresdan Plates. One of them is a dark blue. When I placed them on the back ground square, I placed them so those blades were pointing at the 4 corners, then I fussy cut a flower from that same Dk. Blue
for my circle. I had played with the placement of the blades. This just seemed to give it balance. Sorry I dont have pictures but Im not at all computer savvy, and dont know how to do it.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I've never heard of a 'traditional' color for the center. I fussy cut a tree for the center of mine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]302469[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dresden.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 AM

My dresden plate quilt was very scrappy blades. I used white background and a dark pink sashing, with the same pink for the centers. Worked out well.