Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Centre square >

Centre square

Centre square

Old 05-19-2016, 05:04 AM

Default Centre square

Hi there. I'm in the process of making a log cabin star with scraps cut into 2in strips. What dimensions would you begin a block with? I think I started mine off wrong as I attached a 1"x2" to a 2x2". I think I lost direction in the first block but 2nd onwards it clicked with me how to move around in a clockwise direction to complete the block. My cutting and 1/4 seams are meticulously done so I'm thinking that the reason the length and breadth of the blocks aren't exact is something to do with those first two pieces of fabric? Since I've done 5 blocks so far I will keep going but I'd appreciate any tips for starting these off for future reference. Hope this makes sense? Thank you
Old 05-19-2016, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I have seen center blocks a little larger or the same width of you cut strips so it would depend on what size you want your blocks to be.
https://www.google.com/search?q=log+...w=1013&bih=600
If when you sew your seams, if you find you are a tinny bit short, I always cut my final outside strip an 1/8" of an inch wider and then was able to trim down the blocks perfect so they all were the same size.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have seen center blocks a little larger or the same width of you cut strips so it would depend on what size you want your blocks to be.
https://www.google.com/search?q=log+...w=1013&bih=600
If when you sew your seams, if you find you are a tinny bit short, I always cut my final outside strip an 1/8" of an inch wider and then was able to trim down the blocks perfect so they all were the same size.

If you were using 2in strips what size would your first or centre piece be or doesn't it matter? I'm just trimming my strips as I go along rather than cutting them all to size. Thank you
Old 05-19-2016, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I'd start with cutting a 2" square for the center. Then decide how many rounds to build around it. I usually do 3 or 4.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I'd start with cutting a 2" square for the center. Then decide how many rounds to build around it. I usually do 3 or 4.
Thank you. My L and B are different sizes because I didn't start with a square. Will know for next time!