Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chair Problems >

Chair Problems

Chair Problems

Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Thank you all so much. I'll try the wheelchair pad. My chair rolls, so bed risers isn't an option. I, too, have a "table" @ my MI house for the sewing machine. However, this is a counter-top that runs the width of my room and is fastened to the wall, so there's no moving that or raising it or lowering it. The chair I had before, could be raised higher than this chair. It's an office chair and much more expensive than the one I broke. Maybe I'll go buy a cheap chair!! Sorry, bad joke. Thanks again....I love the caring people on this sight!!
Let me know if that wheelchair pad works. My poor butt would be real sore if I didn't use it. So might even make your quilting comfortable on the tushie. LOL
Old 11-28-2010, 05:48 PM

I am tall, but I use my dining room table for sewing so I too had to raise up my chair height. Part of my problem is if I sit too low, my knees are up in the air! Not very good ergonomically speaking. It makes it hard to get up, out of the chair.
I found some pillow forms at my fabric store that are about 15" square and 4" thick. They are quite firm. I put 2 together and made a zippered cover to hold them together. The fabric I used is upholstery grade.
Now I'm considering bringing my "pillow" to church too!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 PM

I found a piano bench at a furniture resale shop. It works well with the table I keep my sewing machine.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tjradj
I am tall, but I use my dining room table for sewing so I too had to raise up my chair height. Part of my problem is if I sit too low, my knees are up in the air! Not very good ergonomically speaking. It makes it hard to get up, out of the chair.
I found some pillow forms at my fabric store that are about 15" square and 4" thick. They are quite firm. I put 2 together and made a zippered cover to hold them together. The fabric I used is upholstery grade.
Now I'm considering bringing my "pillow" to church too!
One of the ladies in my quilting group brings her covered square/pillow with her wherever she goes.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Oh, I just bought a chair at Office Depot this weekend for 79.00, the chair raises to 22.5 inches. I am 5'1" and have been having terrible neck pain.

It must be me, but when I free motion quilt on my Janome 1600DBX I find that I am really pushing down on the table to get the quilt to "move". I use a slider, gloves and have the table that is made for this sewing machine. The height of the table is 29.5 inches. Does anyone else find themselves doing this?

Guess I am short in the britches.
JulieM