Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
chalk markings >

chalk markings

chalk markings

Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Default chalk markings

I finished my quilt top which are dogs appliqued onto a muslin square with sashing. I decided to hand quilt it in 1/2" diag. rows, marked and measured and marked with chalk marker. Now I decided I want to change my mind and think of something else in the 12" appliqued square where one section really needs something other than just a line of quilting...Question....how do I remove the chalk marks????
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

What colour chalk on what coloured background? If it is white chalk on a medium to dark background, a damp white face cloth should remove it but try a sample first to see if it is safe. If it is coloured chalk, good luck. I would try different methods on a scrap but I never did get blue chalk out of one quilt I did.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM

There is a product, "Sew Clean," recommended by one of my LA teachers and it removes the blue chalk. She demonstrated it for us in class.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

How were you planning to remove the chalk with your original quilting plan??
Just follow the same plan.

I find that a lint brush for clothing does a pretty good job.
The type with the fabric with rough edges that catches the lint ... brush it across and pretty soon the chalk has disappeared.

Like anything ... test it out before you do it and regret.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

In the Craftsy class on using rulers, Kimmy Bruner said to use any microfiber cloth to remove chalk.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM

I use painter's tape to make parallel lines.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

there are a number of different chalk marking products on the market- you need to check the removal instructions for the product you used. some come off very well with a damp washcloth- some set the color with water- some remove with an iron, some with a brush- some with tape-
some colors come off easier than others.
if you can not check the packaging- or site for where it came from you may want to use a scrap of your muslin & try different ways until you find what works best for you....i use a refillable chalk pencil all the time- a wet washcloth works well most of the time- sometimes i only need to brush it away- but that's the one i use...hopefully you still have the packaging for your product & can check to see the removal instructions.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

I use a lint brush to remove the halk. It is the oval usually black plastic brush you find in the pet supply dept. I find it acts both as an eraser and a brush. Knowing the questions about color of chalk and color of fabric would be useful. Otherwise we all are just guessing......And guessing at the answer is not aways correct or productive.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM

No problem with white chalk, but that yellow chalk can be a bear to remove, so I use it for marking the cutting line before cutting the batting. SewClean, mentioned in one of the above posts, really does work!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
there are a number of different chalk marking products on the market- you need to check the removal instructions for the product you used.
This is what I was going to say also. I have several different marking products and they each have do's and do not's spelled out on the packaging. When I realized that what would make one product disappear would make another product permanent, I decided to keep the packaging with each product. It's a pain, but better safe than sorry.