Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: challenge help

My bricks and mortar guild has issued a challenge to make a quilt (under 50") or other item that is at least 25% silver to honor their 25th Anniversary next year. Silver can include grays that look like silver.

I keep seeing literal interpretations of silver, like coins or tea services...stuff like that. I'm totally blanking out on ideas and I thought I'd toss it out here. There's always the option of doing a regular pattern in shades of silver/gray, but I'm hoping to find the inspiration to do something a little different.

Blog Entries
    Silver reminds me of jewerly :wink:

Makes me think of a friendship block and the Girl Scout song! ("Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold!")

I am having a vision of your favorite block embellished w/ silver seed or heishi beads. Perhaps couching a strand of silver something around the edges of a block? Using them to highlight the lines of an exploding fireworks (since its a celebration and all)? I see shiny silver on black. Be sure to show us what you come up with.

Blog Entries
    Brick and mortar suggests a builing of sorts. Kind of literal but that is my thought at the moment. Is your meeting held at a special place that could be translated into a blingy spot.

I'm confused on the "bricks and mortar" guild part ... is this a quilt guild? or something else?

What about using the Candlequilter Star?
    Look for Christmas fabrics that have silver touches on it. That way you can get some colour into the quilt as well.

Blog Entries
    Why not do your favorite quilt blocks using different
    "silver/grey" fabrics. With Christmas around the corner I would think you could find many to choose from. I guess what I'm thinking is like a Plaque or trophy plate you might win for some sporting event. Perhaps a like you bronze baby shoes to keep, but in this you would have "silver'd" your quilt to keep it! Good luck what ever you do and be sure to share pictures with us!

I'm envisioning shiny black, silver lame, maybe black and silver sequins and seed beads. Very avant garde. Not sure there's a pattern out there for what I'm thinking... Will see if I can come up with something more tangible in EQ.

A silver lame crazy quilt with lots of embellishments.

Blog Entries
    Great ideas from you guys. Best of luck, Diana..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast