Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: changing the blade in a rotary cutter

I am fairly new to this, and I want to know if I am supposed to wipe off the oil on the new blade when I am changing from a dull blade in my rotary cutter?

I don't remember there being an excess of oil the first time I changed the blade. This is the second blade I have put in, and maybe my memory is just bad?

Thanks for any help I can get.

I wipe the oil off very carefully, then after I get the new blade installed I run it through some batting scraps to remove any remaining oil since I wouldn't want the oil to get onto my fabrics. (:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I do the same as Connie - just a tip, don't know if you knew, if you turn a dull blade over an put it back in, you can use it for a while longer.

I wipe the oil off, too, so it doesn't get on the fabric. I am going to have to try turning over the blade.

Did you know if you are left handed the blade goes on the opposite side of the rotary cutter? As a lefty, I didn't know this for the first couple of years I quilted.

I think the oil is to protect the blades in the packaging. I always CAREFULLY wipe the oil off. Yikes those new blades are sharp!!!

Ditter

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
    I wipe the oil off, too, so it doesn't get on the fabric. I am going to have to try turning over the blade.

Did you know if you are left handed the blade goes on the opposite side of the rotary cutter? As a lefty, I didn't know this for the first couple of years I quilted.
    I have a Clover and it has an L and an R on either side, apparently not all brands do that! :lol:

Thanks for the tips, I didn't know this!

I clean it well before using. Another thing I always do is to put the old back into the package of the new one and write on it: Used. I keep it. If there is something non fabric to cut, like paper, cardboard, and in one case a piece of screen when we had to change the screen on the screen door, I bring it out and use it. I put it back into the package and discard it. Is amazing how many times the kids need to use a rotary cutter. I wonder what they did before I quilted.

Okay, thanks. Off to clean the oil off. It is good to know that I can flip the old blade also, and keep ones I take off for future non-fabric work!

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I do the same as Connie - just a tip, don't know if you knew, if you turn a dull blade over an put it back in, you can use it for a while longer.
    Woo! Thanks for this! :D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast