Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing quilts for the seasons >

Changing quilts for the seasons

Changing quilts for the seasons

Old 06-12-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
thanks for sharing. I love this idea.
Pagzz are we related? This is exactly what my GGma did too. She was my first quilt teacher and ditto on the "Quite A Lady"
Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
When my grandmother was alive she changed everything including the curtains for spring and summer then fall and winter. She had heavy curtains during the cold months and light sheers during the summer. Loved to see what quilts she put on the beds. She had winter quilts and summer quilts. The summer quilts didn't have batting. She had a few for in between weather. They had flannel for the batting. She was quite a lady and I learned so much from her.
Are we related? Your post describes my GGma right down to "Quite A Lady" Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 AM

I recently put away my gingerbread man table runner. Does that tell us anything?

sandy
Old 06-13-2014, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I recently put away my gingerbread man table runner. Does that tell us anything?

sandy
It tells me that you REALLY love Christmas...or that you are a really busy lady!
I leave a couple of my nativity sets out year round.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 AM

I would like to change quilts for the seasons but I haven't gotten quilts made for fall. I spend my summer at our northwoods cabin and I do put the red-white-blue quilt on the bed for memorial day and 4th of July. And I use a Christmas quilt at the winter house during the holidays. I keep wanting to make a fall leaves quilt but haven't been able to get to it yet. I'm too busy making quilts for my great nephews right now. I have 15 great nieces and nephews and am almost done with quilts for each of them. .... just a couple more to go.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 AM

I'm working toward having quilts for every season, at least for throws in the living room. And I would like to have a summer and winter quilt for our bed. Storage isn't really an issue for us - this house has plenty of places to store things. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who (wants to) does this!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:25 AM

Not really, but I'm working on it. Our "winter" bed just has more quilts on it, usually, but I'm working on making a double-batted quilt that will be our new winter bed quilt. Some of our warmest quilts were made by my gran when I was a kid and are only twin size so we use 2 at a time on the bed and it ends up in a big weird wad most of the time (DH has restless leg, and I am just plain restless).

I don't really do any seasonal changes around the house. I can barely keep up on sweeping up the dog hair tumbleweeds, much less think about changing around decorations. We do very minimal decorating for Christmas (small tree and a few things we set out) and that's about it. We don't have any kids or family that visit us and we work full time so it's just not really important to us. Our yard is tiny but it's well landscaped and we have some nice big windows, so Mother Nature puts on a year round show for us.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by sandyfullmer View Post
How many of you change out your quilts displayed in your home by the seasons? I try to do it, but storing all the quilts can become a bit if a problem. I don't have a spare bed to spread them on for storage.
I change my quilt displays and those on the beds frequently, I do them by the seasons, light colored floral quilts for spring and summer, darker colors for fall and winter. My wall hangings are mostly Christmas themed.

When not in use, the quilts are folded and stored in a special acid free carton and some are folded and displayed in a stack on a side table. I have lots of quilts made over the past 33 years. Have also given away many more than I've kept.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 AM

That's partly why I make completely reversible quilts, with each side very different from each other: when you want to 'change', you can just flip over. You have essentially two quilt designs from one batting and one binding.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:34 AM

You all have some good ideas. I have always changed decorations and displays for the seasons, but am finding as I get older I don't decorate as much as when the kids were all here. But I do like having seasonal wall quilts to change out. I also change out my cross stitch pictures on the walls.