Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing quilts for the seasons >

Changing quilts for the seasons

Changing quilts for the seasons

Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 AM

I change out quilts on beds seasonally! Also some pictures on walls, artificial flower arrangements in house and wreaths on front door along with tablerunners, placemats. Although kids are gone and only visit occasionally I do this to keep my surroundings interesting and welcoming to me and visitors.........Christmas is the biggest decorating frenzy...even the bathrooms get "hit".........
Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I don't. No room in this small apt!!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:20 AM

I'm not likely to change the quilts on the beds, but I have tablerunners and wallhangings that go with every season and holiday. From May 1st until after Labor Day, we are very red, white, and blue. To store tablerunners my DH helped me make from a very large and long cardboard tube, and some pvc pipe a storage unit. He cut the tubes into about 12 sections, each approximately 14" in length (didn't all have to be the same). I stacked and taped them together, creating a cubby hole of each tube. The unit fits very nicely on the shelf above the hanging in our closet. My first thought was to get one of the sectioned shoe units but once I priced one, it was time to get creative. He had saved the large heavy cardboard tube and a section of PVC. PVC would be cheaper to buy than the shelves if we'd needed to buy a piece.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Yes, i like the change of seasons and have quilted items to match.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 AM

I do have 4 quilts, one for each season. The rest have gone to grids, etc.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:50 AM

I do not have quilts for every season, still working on that. But I do have wall hangings and table runners for many of the seasons and do bring them out. I am still working on getting wall hangings and table runners made for each season.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:08 AM

I do change out my quilts 4 times a year. My Christmas quilt has a beautiful springlike lining so I just turn it over for spring. For summer I have a light weight with no batting. And then comes fall and it has to have its own quilt
Old 06-14-2014, 06:24 AM

I'm so lucky to have a quilt storage box with glass all round. Friend of mine had it made for me. Have 5 quilts in it now and several quilts on a rack, several on beds one on a wall, and another on a tall quilt rack. Hope I didn't bore anyone but I also have many UFO. someday?
Old 06-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I have acouple nativity sets kept in my curio cabinets. One is glass and the other is a delicate blown glass. Got the delicate blown at an estate sale. Was in a box of ornaments with a batting like tree skirt. Just love them. Ihave afghans from DMIL on display all the time. I throw them into the washer on low and dry them outside in the summer and toss in dryer in winter on low.
Originally Posted by GailG View Post
It tells me that you REALLY love Christmas...or that you are a really busy lady!
I leave a couple of my nativity sets out year round.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM

I like changing mine out for the seasons..but if you are short on space for storage..the back of a quilt can sometimes be used at different seasons than the front was meant for. I have a patriotic themed quilt that has red with gold stars for backing..I use that backing side up with my Christmas quilts..same for Autumn quilts..backing is green, looks really nice with my Spring quilts! I find that when I make a seasonal quilt now, I look at my choices for backings very differently..I like when they can serve double duty!