Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity quilt auctions and donations >

Charity quilt auctions and donations

Charity quilt auctions and donations

Old 12-30-2016, 06:17 PM

Default Charity quilt auctions and donations

I've been practicing FMQ on some very artsy quilts. The piecing and colors/fabrics are really interesting. However, my FMQ is 'custom' at a beginner level. I didn't use templates but did what seemed to work for each fabric or block area. On occasion, some thread lengths get really tight, other areas may be 1/8" or have a little zig and then continue on. I'd like to donate to a quilt auction but wonder if such FMQ is good enough. How critical are bidders?
(I'd post pictures but my iOS photos don't transfer onto this site probably due to file size limitations. The FMQ would likely not be visible anyway.)
Some fabrics are very complex and colorful Australian designs and there are a variety of blocks that are not repeating. The pattern is not a symmetrical quilt design (if that gives you an idea of the quilt style).
Any thoughts on this? I'd appreciate your feedback!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:27 PM

this is very hard to comment on without any pictures (which you already know!) but I've found that quilts for charity auctions are all over the place in regard to what they bring. I've had several go for about $300-350 (these are queen size and all LQS fabrics with custom quilting)--which I think was really just paying for materials! And I always have a "ringer" start/egg on the bidding--which last one I did meant I bought myself! Just couldn't see a queen size quilt going for less than $325! At that same benefit, several double size quilts with edge-to-edge quilting sold in auction for $50-75--which is just criminal! On the otherhand, a king size quilt I did the quilting on brought over a $1000 at a charity auction--the next year the same person put a quilt into the same auction and it only brought $425--so I've found that there are so many factors in what a quilt will bring in auction. Bidders don't usually bid based on quilting (most aren't saavy on that part) but on what appeals to them (exception would be a quilt at auction with just quilters bidding).
Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 PM

If you are concerned, you might want to consult the quilt auction committee about this. The annual quilt auction where I donate has a wide range of technical quality, as well as a wide range of style and difficulty. The good thing is that the bidders have time to preview the quilts before the auction begins. The preview allows each person to decide on their bids based on their own standards. Many people don't have much knowledge, and some don't care, because they are there to support the charity. And for some, your FMQ work will look great!

Personally, I guess my only concern when I donate is that I don't want to embarrass myself. I am not an expert quilter, but I try to do my best on the quilts that I donate to auctions.

It sounds like you have an eye catching quilt, and that counts for a lot in the bidding.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:22 AM

I went to an Amish quilt auction for several years when I lived in Maryland. The ones that sold for the most were patterns lay people knew--like log cabin. The beautiful whole cloth white quilts (and all quilts in this auction were hand quilted) did not go for as much as a pieced one.

Baby quilts also did quite well. I am thinking the audience could easily see gifting one of those to a baby.

The highest one the last year was the Moon Glow one by Jenny Byer. I am quite sure it was a kit.