Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt >

Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt

Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt

Old 08-26-2016, 05:26 AM

Why not return them with a note that if they hang them outside for a week or two, rain or not, or until the smell is gone, then you will be glad to do them. Explain that moldy smells cause serious problems and it has to be considered in donations.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Honestly I wouldn't be part of a group that thinks this fabric is acceptable to use for QOV.
My thought too. I have not worked with QOV but have seen their requirements for fabrics/quilts. They are pretty picky. (not a criticism)
Old 08-26-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
My thought too. I have not worked with QOV but have seen their requirements for fabrics/quilts. They are pretty picky. (not a criticism)
Yes, they are. But these quilts are being awarded at the local level and don't go through the QOV organization. I might be better off volunteering as a longarmer through QOV. Piecers mail you the quilt. I wonder if that would be any better.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I would send them back, calling ahead of time and explain, you can't work on fabric with whatever odor this is. This is suppose to be a donation and even so why should the recipient be given some one else's unwashed discard. Very disrespectful of our military. They get a lot of disrespect the way it is. It's a wonder you didn't have a hissy sneezing fit when you opened the package up upon receipt. I just threw out a box of fabric I purchased at an estate sale. $4.00 for the box. I worked on the odor for 2 weeks including letting it air out in the hot sun for 3 days between each cleaning attempt. Smoke, perfume, sewer type gas odor, I just pitched it. was not about to even use it for the animal shelter.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I would send them back, with an honest explanation. I would hate for these quilts to be completed and be gifted to a veteran. Even if the quilts are washed after quilting, I would worry that the smell could return. Can you imagine being given a smelly quilt for your years of service?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM

I also think it is fine to send them back. Or ask, and if they are Ok with you "washing" them, I would fill a large sink or tub with warm, soapy water and let them soak without agitating them. Drain the water, refill with plain water to rinse, drain again to let as much water drain out as possible so they won't be so heavy. Then hang on hangers with closepins or lay flat somewhere if you have the room to let them dry. If you don't agitate or tumble dry in the dryer you shouldn't have much raveling. I have done this myself and it worked fine.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM

I would contact the guild president and have her evaluate the situation. Let her smell them and express your concerns and mention you do want to continue doing quilts for them. If they smell that badly the fabric may have started to deteriorate and once washed they will fall apart, then everyone's time is wasted.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Honestly I wouldn't be part of a group that thinks this fabric is acceptable to use for QOV.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there is another group you could be part of? Or maybe if you say you can't do them in that condition, they will think a bit more about what they pass on to you? I like the idea of putting them in a sealed plastic bag for a while before handing them back so someone else can smell it.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:10 AM

sunshine is a great cure for all kinds of things. you could soak them in a mild solution of vinegar and water and lie them out to dry.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I would return them to the coordinator - with an explanation.

However, I would not say "these things smell" - even if they reek - because that puts people on the defensive.

You could say something like "My allergies started to act up when I opened the bag - there must be something in the fabric that is really bothering me - could you return these to the makers so they could wash them in a fragrance-free, hypo-allergenci detergent, press them, and then I would be happy to long arm them."

And stress that these tops MUST be washed/ironed or pressed/threads clipped before you will touch them.

You might also tell them because of your allergies/health that you have to be careful about what you can work on.