Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity quilts >

Charity quilts

Charity quilts

Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 AM

When you are making charity quilts, do you use fabric from your stash or purchase new fabric? Do you make them scrappy? Do you have a certain pattern you like to use? Just wondering.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 AM

I like to use fabric from my stash and my scraps. Also make some quick ones with panels and/or string piecing.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I've only made one so far, but I really enjoyed it, so want to do more! I collect 30's prints, and used those, a very simple 9 patch with white. It turned out pretty, and probaly didnt cost alot to do. I think my next one will be a scrappy one with all pet prints....
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 AM

At the moment I'm making a disappearing nine patch with all donated fabrics for a care quilt. I prefer to use 100% cotton from my stash. This one has some poly/cotton in it, which I hate the smell of when ironing.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 AM

I do quilts for Project Linus (get a lot of fabric from the meetings free), the Quilt for Kids will send you as many kits as you need to sew. Downy has a special now with Quilt for Kids. You go on their web. And ask for however many kits you would like to sew. As for Project Linus, there may be a chapter near you. Projectlinus.org, then look under your state. You can read all about us. Saves you on fabric and allows you to give....Good luck
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 AM

As for patterns...any kids patterns, scrappy, string quilts, easy nine blocks. Bright colors and the kids love them. I had a lady give us a purple and brown one she thought was ugly but...when I went to distribute them a cute little boy saw it, ran up to it..and Shouted "Look a peanut butter and jelly blanket". No quilt is not loved and hugged. Quiltmaker gives free patterns they made just for Project Linus. You can get the last 10 years patterns from them. Sorry so Long. This touched my heart.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 AM

I from my stash charity quilts. My rule is not to make a quilt I would not want one of my grandkids to have. I know a lot of people with the attitude that it is just a charity quilt. But think about it some sweet little innocent child will be getting and falling in love with it. If I am at a fabric store and see a bright cheerful fabric I will buy it. I make about 20 or more quilts a month for my charity group.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 PM

I don't make a lot of charity quilts but when I do I prefer they are something my own GK's would enjoy like fabric9patcher said. If I can draw from my stash so be it, if not I buy some. Depending on where they are going. If its a small childs quilt I like panels, add borders, machine quilt, quick and easy. If it is for an older person I sometimes do scrappy. What ever works in the current situation. Marge
Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Administrator

i use both stash and specially purchased fabs for the quilts i make to donate.

if i wouldn't give it to somebody i like or wouldn't try to sell it, i don't consider it suitable for donation either.

my disasters go to a local no-kill pet shelter to be cage warmers.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
When you are making charity quilts, do you use fabric from your stash or purchase new fabric? Do you make them scrappy? Do you have a certain pattern you like to use? Just wondering.
I work with donated fabric and sometimes add something from my stash. I often have to buy for the backing. The fabric I am working with sort of dictates the pattern I use. If I have a lot of different material I will do something like the "wickely Easy" pattern. If I have 3 or 4 that are coordinated I will do a rail Fence. If I have 3 or 4 fabrics that are very contempary, I do a large rail fence. If I have some prints and solids that go together I make a 9 or sampler. It really depends on what I have to work with.