Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Charm pack

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    26
    What are the measures for a charmpack?(I mean such a square)

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,233
    5 inch squares

  3. #3
    Super Member SherriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Quilting somewhere......
    Posts
    2,771
    Blog Entries
    41
    Most of the charm packs, esp. Moda, will have 42 five inch squares in them. Some other major brands will have less than 42, even a few of Moda's have less.

  4. #4
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    14,735
    It seems like 5x5 inch squares is the norm for what is called a charm pack now.

    I've seen squares available in various sizes - 1.5, 2, 2.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 inches.

    It has puzzled me that the jelly rolls are 2.5 inches wide and the charm squares are 5 inches wide.

    When the squares are 5 inches wide, it takes two strips 2.75 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) to equal 5 inches.

    Two strips 2.5 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) end up being only 4.5 inches wide.

  5. #5
    Senior Member scrapykate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    727
    I used a charm pack and then 2.5" strips to make a quilt, go to pictures and look for Botany quilt. I used a different material for the 2.5" block. Was very quick and easy but effective.
    would post the picture here but haven't figured that out...

    finally figured it out!! you add it after you post
    Name:  Attachment-133240.jpe
Views: 300
Size:  66.0 KB

  6. #6
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    14,735
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapykate
    I used a charm pack and then 2.5" strips to make a quilt, go to pictures and look for Botany quilt. I used a different material for the 2.5" block. Was very quick and easy but effective.
    would post the picture here but haven't figured that out...
    Pretty quilt. The proportions are pleasing.

  7. #7
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,196
    Kate, that quilt is really pretty!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    601
    Why would you want them to have that particular relationship, of sewing two together to get the other? I love them at 2.5 inches wide.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    It seems like 5x5 inch squares is the norm for what is called a charm pack now.

    I've seen squares available in various sizes - 1.5, 2, 2.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 inches.

    It has puzzled me that the jelly rolls are 2.5 inches wide and the charm squares are 5 inches wide.

    When the squares are 5 inches wide, it takes two strips 2.75 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) to equal 5 inches.

    Two strips 2.5 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) end up being only 4.5 inches wide.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA & NM
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    Why would you want them to have that particular relationship, of sewing two together to get the other? I love them at 2.5 inches wide.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    It seems like 5x5 inch squares is the norm for what is called a charm pack now.

    I've seen squares available in various sizes - 1.5, 2, 2.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 inches.

    It has puzzled me that the jelly rolls are 2.5 inches wide and the charm squares are 5 inches wide.

    When the squares are 5 inches wide, it takes two strips 2.75 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) to equal 5 inches.

    Two strips 2.5 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) end up being only 4.5 inches wide.
    If you want to combine 4-patches and charm square, the squares will have to be cut down to 4 1/2 inches. Kind of a pain.
    Also, I have noticed that strips that are supposed to be 2 1/2 inches are not always cut true to that measurement. So if you need 1 1/4 inch strips, you might be in trouble there.

    I wish the strips were sold as 3 inches wide so they could be cut down accurately.

  10. #10
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    14,735
    Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    Why would you want them to have that particular relationship, of sewing two together to get the other? I love them at 2.5 inches wide.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    It seems like 5x5 inch squares is the norm for what is called a charm pack now.

    I've seen squares available in various sizes - 1.5, 2, 2.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 inches.

    It has puzzled me that the jelly rolls are 2.5 inches wide and the charm squares are 5 inches wide.

    When the squares are 5 inches wide, it takes two strips 2.75 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) to equal 5 inches.

    Two strips 2.5 inches wide sewn together (1/4 inch seam) end up being only 4.5 inches wide.
    If you want to combine 4-patches and charm square, the squares will have to be cut down to 4 1/2 inches. Kind of a pain.
    Also, I have noticed that strips that are supposed to be 2 1/2 inches are not always cut true to that measurement. So if you need 1 1/4 inch strips, you might be in trouble there.

    I wish the strips were sold as 3 inches wide so they could be cut down accurately.
    Thank you,Sherrie.

    Also, some blocks call for two rectangles that equal the square unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.