Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Charm Packs -- watch out!

Charm Packs -- watch out!

This may have been posted before, but I just ran into the problem. I, personally, will take responsibility, but I had NO idea! I bought 3 charm packs from Craftsy.com. Was excited, planning 3 quilts.....price was AWESOME! yeah, you get what you pay for. Apparently a charm pack does NOT have to contain 40 pieces......these contained 14!!!!!!!!! ONE quilt. Oh well.....however, I thought all charm packs contained the same amount of blocks. Is it the same with jelly rolls, etc????????
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Amandasgramma--I find it depends on the brand of fabric. Moda has so far been quite consistent in their quantities and I have not seen a charm pack for less than 40 nor a jelly roll or layer cake. Other brands, like Riley Blake and Northcott I have seen much smaller quantities. I want to say I saw a charm pack that was around $5.75 or so and thought it was a good deal but then saw it only contained 18 or maybe 20 squares. You definitely have to look at the quantity now if buying a brand other than Moda (and even then it is good to check because Moda does sell a few half jelly rolls I think--maybe I am wrong about that).

Contents vary on precuts. All I have ordered has the amount in the description.
    I love my life!

That would have been so dissappointing for you amandasgramma! I don't buy precuts much either but have bought them once from Connecting Threads. The ones I bought only had 20 charm squares per pack so I had to buy quite a few to make a quilt. It seems on CT site the charm packs contain the number of fabrics there are in that particular collection, so they are all different. ( but they tell you quite clearly in their ad the number you get) Well, have fun sewing up the ones you got!

pre-cuts are evil. just kidding ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Senior Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    The same can go for some yardage on some sites. I have seen fabric priced at 1/4 yard prices and you think Wow! what a deal and then look at the fine print and see that's for 1/4 yard and not per yard. Too bad consistency isn't the name of the game.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it really varies. Usually, it's one or two cuts from every fabric in a particular line. So how many fabrics make up a line? Hmm... I will say that 14 is on the low side, but usually it's from around 20 to around 40. This is the same for all precuts: jelly rolls, layer cakes etc. As they say read the info in the posting. I've never seen a precut pack listed anywhere that doesn't state the number of cuts in the pack, but there probably are some somewhere.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I would hope they were extremely cheap for 14 charms!

I too learned the hard way to read the fine print on precuts... Just one of the reasons I avoid them.

Reading the fine print......NEW CONCEPT!!!! LOL LOL I know, I get caught so many times!!!!! I consoled myself.....went to town and bought more fabric. win-win!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast