Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters.... >

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Default Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

When you are planning a quilt, do you buy just so much yardage of each fabric or do you like to use bundles?

I am planning two quilts and was thinking of using Layer Cakes for one quilt since she is wanting blocks (it is my mom so she isn't too picky, lol) and either charms or jelly rolls for the 2nd...haven't decided if I want it blocks or strips.

Also, if you find a pattern of fabric you like, do you just buy a yard or two? I want to stock up my stash but am torn on how what to do....buy a little of everything (charms, rolls, etc) or just buy a yard or two and cut how I want it.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy anthing but yardage - usually 4-6 yards, unless it is good for backgrounds. If I really like it, then I buy more. The smallest amounts I have bought is remmants. Use to be the stores would sell remmants if less than 2yards, now they are much smaller. I stopped buying them because I don't think are a good deal.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Generally, when I buy yardage, I buy at least 2 yards so I'll have enough for blocks, border and binding. If I buy a bundle, I buy it with coordinating fabric for borders, etc. I usually have a pattern for my bundles so I know how much to buy. I prefer yardage to bundles, but I have both in my stash.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 PM

I buy yardage but with a project in mind, plus 1 extra yard. If I am really impressed with the fabric I may 2 or 3 extra yards for future projects. I hate to buy bundles because that is someone else's idea of colors that belong together, not mine. It doesn't feel personal to me.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks! I hope to visit my LQS again tomorrow after I drop my DD at MDO. I think they just sell yardage, no bundles. I know how much the bundle for my Mom's quilt will cost online but I would like to try to shop at home if at all possible.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM

me i like to get yardage. it is easier to re-purpose and much more flexible on what you can do with it. I get 1-3 yards and starting to only get 3 yards unless i am working with a specific pattern or blocks, then get more toward a yard or so. People how ever keep getting me FQ's and jelly rolls. they are nice but most of the time they are fabrics that I am not in love with or even the style that I really like so it makes it hard to work with. I used to just buy Fq's but then when I found i had three CD storage cases full of them but never really using them I stopped buying them, except for my kids. they like to have them to play with with dolls and "action figures". So I would go with maybe a combo of all the kinds of fabric stuffs. but it is a real personal thing depending on how you quilt and what you are pulled toward, which will change as the years go by.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 PM

I've only bought yardage so far. I find that most of the bundles and rolls figure out to about $7.00 a yard or more and I try to spend less than that for my material. I usually buy when it's on sale.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Usually I buy yardage because I'm not sure what I am going to do with it and charm pack or jelly rolls would limit me. Layer cake would provide more option's with something to do with it. I don't use just one line of fabric in a quilt but put what I like. You can do whatever you like. Jelly roll quilts do go together quickly. Grace
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM

forget letting other people choose your fabrics for you ...a quarter yard is the same when you buy 9 inches by the width of the fabric and then you can cut strips, templates, squares, whatever you want in the print YOU want...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 PM

I don't buy pre-cuts. I buy yardage and always buy at least a yard extra and make my own FQ's and strips.