Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
chatelaine >

chatelaine

chatelaine

Old 12-20-2006, 09:41 PM

PB, I was reading about you looking for a pattern for a chatelaine and I was wondering, as I kept on reading, what it could be. Imagine my sur-prise, when I got to Randys' picture of a chatelaine, to know that I bought one at a thrift store for $1.98. I had no idea that's what it is called. I thought it was so cute as it has so many sewing notions on it. Thank you. Estella
Old 12-24-2006, 03:12 AM

Randy

Thanks for that super picture and the measurments. I did'nt know what a chatelaine was, until you showed the picture. I have seen them before but out of felt. But as I was looking at it and observing the details, I kept thinking about a neck-tie. It would be very easy to convert an old neck-tie into a chatelaine, In fact I'm going to make one for my self. There are some nifty ones out there, and the thrift shop would be the first place to look. Most ties are well made and of various fabric's, Thanks again.
BECKY

Old 12-24-2006, 05:46 AM

Becky:
What a great idea. There are some wonderful ties to be found. And yes, ties are very well made. I took one apart one time to get a pattern and couldn't believe the construction. Now I don't mind spending the money for a really gorgeous one! Make sure and send us a picture of yours when you finish it. We all get inspired from the "Show and Tell" items we see. Good Luck!

Merry Christmas,
Randy
Old 12-24-2006, 10:40 AM

Randy

I'll have to wait till after Christmas, mainly ,because the thrift shops won't be open till Wed. But I am going to make one, slimply because I will put it to very good use. As far as pictures are concerned I'm at my youngest sons time frame, he has the digital camera, So I have to wait till I get over there or he gets over here. He was sweet and came over and took some pictures of my quilts for me. But I have to wait to get with him. But thanks for you encouragement.

BECKY
Old 12-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Boo

Just a quick note to those who are planning on making a chatelaine. If you are attaching scissors, thread clips or seam ripper, make sure the cord you use is long enough, so you can use when sitting upright or standing at ironing board. Go ahead, ask my poor sore neck why. :lol:
Old 12-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Boo

What would you recommend for a cord for the seam ripper, and the sissors. Or would a pocket for each be better? Or is the whole idea about everything being attached to the chaterlaine so there not misplaced and all notions being in one place for your at hand project. Did that make sense? Sorry I'm alittle dingy, It's been along day.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Boo

Becky, I must be dingy because I understood perfectly. The seam ripper prolly would be better in a pocket. Most of them don't have a place to attach them anyway. For the little scissors you could use ribbon, or fabric, or cording. I like my scissors attached because I often misplace them or leave them on the table when I need them at the ironing board.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:19 PM

Good advise, Boo. Thank you!
Randy
Old 12-26-2006, 07:57 AM

I am definitely making a chatelaine!! I have a pair of Gingher snippers about 5" long... comes in a little black case that I hang around my neck with a ribbon. I even wear them to bed, 'cuz I forget to take them off. I couldn't live without those sissors. I use them numerous times a day. Can't wear my thimble like that though, so I'm making a clatelaine. I like the tie idea.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM

Hi Guys:
We all survived Christmas, I see. We had a wonderful time, I hope all of you did, too.

My scissors are attached to a ring (key ring, actually) so the scissors are always on the Chatelaine. The key ring is whip stitched to the end of the Chatelaine tie. If you look at the picture I attached a few days ago you can see the ring on the red and black Chatelaine. One of the pockets/pouches on the ones I make is deep enough for the seam ripper to be tucked in. I also add a thin elastic to the top of the pouch to help keep everything in the pouch nice and comfy and NOT falling out. If you wanted to use Velcro instead of the elastic I'm sure that would work great, too.

Happy New Year and keep sewing!
Randy