Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheater cloth quilts >

Cheater cloth quilts

Cheater cloth quilts

Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I have over the years used many panels in quilts, even ones that have won some pretty nice awards and are considered heirlooms. I really dislike that term ( cheater quilt) it is such a negative way to look at it. I put just as much work into a quilt I've used a panel in as I do any pieced, appliquéd, paper pieced or embroidered quilt. There's no ( cheating) involved. I look at panels like I look at any other lovely fabric print.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM

I remembered - https://patternjam.com/explore

All the customization, none of the piecing! I'm not associated with this, but it's new, so I thought I would share
Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I have use panels and just added to them. I don't think there is any cheating. Fabric is fabric whether you cut it up or just use other fabrics with it.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:58 AM

Don't think of them as cheater quilts but opportunity quilts. They let you have the opportunity to make more quilts and are really great for charity quilts especially saving you time to make more! Kids love the panels.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:20 AM

I use alot of panels for various projects! they are lovely and cuts down on the work of piecing! go for it!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:27 AM

Printed panels are nice for seasonal quilts that will just be on display for a short time. I have a 4th of July one that I enjoy and would not have made from scratch.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 AM

I have seen some lovely cheater quilt tops to be made into tops--double wedding ring, etc. The colors were lovely. What's not to like? A lot of folks wouldn't know the difference, anyway. If you are stressed for time, this might help you meet a deadline, or if quilting is your thing, go for it.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I have over the years used many panels in quilts, even ones that have won some pretty nice awards and are considered heirlooms. I really dislike that term ( cheater quilt) it is such a negative way to look at it. I put just as much work into a quilt I've used a panel in as I do any pieced, appliquéd, paper pieced or embroidered quilt. There's no ( cheating) involved. I look at panels like I look at any other lovely fabric print.
I never said there was anything wrong with panels; I merely compared the two. YOU put the "bad" connotation to it. So-called "cheater" tops are no different than doing a whole cloth quilt either. A quilt should be what you want it to be, not what someone else thinks it should be.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Quilting is a big tent encompassing a wide variety of styles, types, and skill levels. I have enjoyed most of them and felt pride in accomplishing something difficult successfully. With that said, recently I have been thinking that printed quilting patterns, sometimes known as cheater cloth might be something to consider for utilitarian bed quilts. I have friends who have completed quilts from this fabric and they turned out quite lovely. They were for married children who were going to use them as bed quilts and utilitarian quilts. It made me think I should abandon my elitist attitude that a quilt should be pieced, appliqued, or embroidered to qualify as a quilt. From the stand point of cost and time, it seems to make sense. What do you think about cheater cloth quilts?
Why not?? Life is short. I have one now I'm trying to work on. It's from a cousin whose friend had started it but sadly passed before it was finished. Hand quilted LOL with poly batting. Eventually I'll finish it for her because I love her dearly. And she would do anything for you.

I believe cheater fabric and panels are two different animals. There are several on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cheater-quilt-fabric

Last edited by AZ Jane; 02-17-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:48 AM

There is a store about 20 miles from me that has a great selection of cheater cloth from dresden plates to chickens I say go for it,