Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheater cloth quilts >

Cheater cloth quilts

Cheater cloth quilts

Old 02-17-2017, 06:43 PM

So many things are about labeling. My DH always jokes about left over chicken being "used chicken" and the difference that labeling makes. The "cheater" label is about as unfair as the "used chicken" label. Maybe it would be better to call them something else. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with quilting a print that you like into a quilt.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:12 AM

Cheater-cloth quilts certainly have their place in this crazy, busy world. So many times I don't have time to do the whole process, and the cheater cloth come in handy.
They are beautiful and well loved!!
Mariah
Old 02-18-2017, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

I believe there is nothing wrong in cheater quilts, as sometimes you need a quilt in a hurry. Not all quilts are meant to be difficult; and every once in a while I just want to make a quilt quickly and they fit the bill.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:31 AM

Isn't that like whole cloth quilts? I have used those for decoration on sweatshirts. Love them!
Lynda
Old 02-18-2017, 08:08 AM

I was given a couple panels and pieces of 'cheater' cloth. I added borders, used very high loft batting and did lots of STID and echo stitching. They looked adorable. One of the panels was a unicorn in a flower field with a rainbow. I framed it with several borders in rainbow colors. I had planned on donating all of them, but one of my daughters fell in love with the unicorn and claimed it for herself! These kinds of quilts are fun to make and every once in awhile it is nice to do a quick and easy one. I call it re-juicing myself up for the big projects.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:57 AM

How about we do away with the term 'cheater' and just consider it another tool or concept. Some are beautiful. I saw an advertisement for some that are digitally printed which means fine dyes and lots of detail. I like the pre-prints if they are printed straight.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Panels come in so many beautiful prints. Or such cute ones for babies. I have done many baby quilts from panels and I, too, feel like I have "cheated," but need to get over that. Everyone who has received one has loved it and they don't realize what time you've saved. Such a variety and such pretty designs. I have made a wall hanging for every season for myself from a panel. Also, I don't enjoy applique, so would never be able to accomplish such pretty designs on my own. Do it!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:00 PM

I do occasionally use what I call "convenience quilts". I buy them if the print is especially pretty. I use them for car quilts when traveling, couch quilts because the dog is with me and anything else that I don't want to use a quilt that I spent many hours on and $$ for quilting. I had one begged off of me and I told the relative that I would make her a quilt and she said no, she loved the quilt I was using in the car when we went to visit. I gave it to her and she loves it. I have also used them for the grands to play on in the floor and I use them for practice quilting. Sometimes you cannot see the difference unless you look very close. I prefer piecing but sometimes it works better to use the "Convenience fabric".
Old 02-18-2017, 06:38 PM

Thank you for all your responses. It has been so fun to read. I didn't know what else to call it except cheater cloth that quilter's would understand what I meant. I do like the name convenience quilts. It doesn't have a negative connotation. I have a friend who loves to hand quilt, but has a phobia about sewing machines. She says she can't underand why anyone would cut up perfectly good fabric into little pieces and sew it back together again. Sigh. I would like to know a source for pretty patterns. Also, colors are important to me. Some of the fabric I have seen is problematic as far as color goes--dull colors and/or too few colors to give it depth. Also quality of the fabric is important. Since no one in my area carries convenience quilt fabric, online is my option. Anyone found a good source? I need to replace bed quilts that are wearing out. My intricate pieced and appliqued quilts are reserved for decorative spreads for now.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:43 PM

Don't let anyone tell you how to do enjoy your hobby, "cheater" is an awful term btw, I refuse to use it. Sew whatever makes you happy ☺