Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Check this story out about the Des Moines Quilt Show.

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by dvseals
    That is such a great idea, thanks for the link!

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Isn't that wonderful.

The Project Linus chapter here have been making tactile quilts for the blind at the last couple of main quilt shows. I want to make one for a friend's handicapped brother.

Blog Entries
    That is sooo exciting. Think of their mental reactions to the designs. We have a lady who was seeing all of her life and lost her vision due to MS. She is a avid quilter and operates her old Singer sewing machine. Someone threads it for her but she sews her blocks and her quilts are very nice.
    Havingbeen sighted, she has an advantage. She picks fabrics
    by feel and someone helps with color so she knows what color has what feel. Its fascinating.

We forget that blind people like to have pretty things to wear and to decorate their homes. In my single days I had a part time job as a representative for Beeline Clothing. It was one of those party plan sales things. I also worked fulltime and had two ladies that rode to work with me. One of them was a young divorced woman with a small child who was blind. She had me do a show for her and her friends who included both blind and deaf people. It was amazing. We dressed some of the guests up in the clothes and we passed them around so the blind people could feel the clothing and another person signed my sales talk and descriptions of the clothes for the deaf people.
    I was amazed how much they cared about their appearances and the appearances of their homes. They were excellant customers as retail stores didn't seem to be interested in dealing with them.

That is way cool!

Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna
    Isn't that wonderful.

The Project Linus chapter here have been making tactile quilts for the blind at the last couple of main quilt shows. I want to make one for a friend's handicapped brother.
    my quilt group also make textured quilts for Linus. I have not been there much for a few month due to ill health But as soon as I am back on my feet I will try to do some more. katesnanna are you going the the Stitches and Craft show starting in the 20th of this month. I am hoping to on the first day. It is less busy and you get all the best bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna
    Isn't that wonderful.

my quilt group also make textured quilts for Linus. I have not been there much for a few month due to ill health But as soon as I am back on my feet I will try to do some more. katesnanna are you going the the Stitches and Craft show starting in the 20th of this month. I am hoping to on the first day. It is less busy and you get all the best bargains.

Blog Entries
    Hi Annya,

No sure about the show. I'm nursing a cold at the moment. Will make a decision next weekend.
    My best friend & I went to a lot of the workshops last year and enjoyed them immensely.

You need to get into the Echinacea tablets 5,000 mg and Garlic capsules 3000mg if not raw garlic. I also have vitamin C. Get the strongest you can afford and double or even triple up- 3 times a day and in no time your cold will be gone. I hope to see you at the show.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast