Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemo Comfort Quilt Question >

Chemo Comfort Quilt Question

Chemo Comfort Quilt Question

Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 AM

Thanks everyone. I had heard that the weight of the batting was too much for some patients, but I'm so happy I asked! For everyone that has friends and family going through treatment, I wish you and them good recoveries as well.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:08 AM

I would suggest something like Minky; light weight but snuggly & warm.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 AM

One other question regarding shrinkage. I did not prewash the top, as I used precuts, but I am planning to prewash the flannel as I've heard it's notorious for shrinking. If I do the flannel backing, should I also do the batting?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:28 AM

That is a very cute quilt - what is the pattern name?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Went with a friend who's going through chemo. She is a quilter also. She made her own quilt and put foot pocket to help keep her feet warm which helped the rest of her. I had some extra hospital socks an gave those to her which help. She uses flannel all the way, 3 layers. She tied her quilt. It isn't really heavy but it is really warm. She a tiny thing, barely 5 foot and under a 100#s. She's going through her 2nd battle with breast cancer. When she feels good she works on quilts for others. She makes the most of any good day. If she only has a minute to work on a quilt, she doesn't waste that minute.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:46 AM

It's called pixie sticks and is a free pattern on the moda bakeshop website.

Tess, that is really amazing about your friend quilting to help others.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:34 AM

What a wonderfully colorful and cheery quilt, just looking at warms my heart and I'm sure your friend will feel the same. What a caring loving friend you are to make this during this trying time in your friends life.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM

OMGoodness tessagin, your post (#15) about your friend and her battle with breast cancer, just makes me smile in wonder of what a caring person she is. Focusing on others and not wasting a moment while 'doing' for other people, what a special lady.

Makes me contemplate how many minutes of my life I've wasted. Thank-you for such an uplifting example of your friends heart and personality.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
One other question regarding shrinkage. I did not prewash the top, as I used precuts, but I am planning to prewash the flannel as I've heard it's notorious for shrinking. If I do the flannel backing, should I also do the batting?
I agree you should preWash the flannel because it had been my experience it does shrink more than regular quilting cotton. As for the batting, it is not necessary to preWash it unless you really don't want the finished quilt to have the "crinkly" look---in which case prewashing everything is the best way I know to minimize crinkling.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM

Huskyquilter -- I would definitely prewash the flannel. It sometimes shrinks a lot and sometimes not much and how much you paid does not seem to have anything to do with how much it shrinks. I made a lot of receiving blankets (close to 100) and I had pieces cut WOF square. I had as much as 6" shrinkage (I prewashed in hot water and dried hot figuring there could be some soiling needing the hot wash) and as little as no shrinkage in the same brand of flannel.