Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: chickiez

Does anyone know how much 108" backing fabric is needed to finish quilting a 108 X 108 quilt?

Here's an online calculator. Hope it helps. :D

http://www.quiltshops.com/calculator/calculator.htm

As a hint you might want to title your future threads with something relevant.

Seeing Chickiez in the subject line, makes it appear that you are doing a GSO (General Shout Out) to Chickiez, meaning that you want to talk to that specific person. Many will just pass the thread by, as they are not Chickiez.

For this thread, you might have titled it "Fabric Required for Backing??" or something similar.

You'll probably notice your threads will get more responses if you title them in this way. Good Luck!

also this would have more views if you put it in the "Main" Section instead of "Block of the Month and Week"

MTS
    Banned
    Yep, what they all said (about posting location).

I could write a whole thing about how to buy, cut and attach an extra .75 yard of the same fabric so it would be large enough.

But maybe you're better off just buying 120" backing fabric.

Most is 108" wide, but if you Google it, you'll find it. Not as great a selection as 108", but they are out there.

Here's a white one (on sale):
    http://www.crafttownfabrics.net/cgi-...b_ri_wht_5115r

Personally, I'd piece the back - buy the 3 yards of the 108" backing you like, and then pick an additional one or two fabrics that compliment it - maybe used in the making of the quilt top. Or use up all the scraps you have left over (blocks, fabric pieces).

If you piece as in the diagram - it's just two cuts - you don't have to worry about seams down the center or too near the edges. It's purposely off center. You have to add at least 8" to the dimensions, might as well make them pretty.

116" pieced backing.
    Name:  Attachment-264325.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  13.0 KB

I think that is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Yep, what they all said (about posting location).

I could write a whole thing about how to buy, cut and attach an extra .75 yard of the same fabric so it would be large enough.

But maybe you're better off just buying 120" backing fabric.

Most is 108" wide, but if you Google it, you'll find it. Not as great a selection as 108", but they are out there.

Here's a white one (on sale):
    http://www.crafttownfabrics.net/cgi-...b_ri_wht_5115r

Personally, I'd piece the back - buy the 3 yards of the 108" backing you like, and then pick an additional one or two fabrics that compliment it - maybe used in the making of the quilt top. Or use up all the scraps you have left over (blocks, fabric pieces).

If you piece as in the diagram - it's just two cuts - you don't have to worry about seams down the center or too near the edges. It's purposely off center. You have to add at least 8" to the dimensions, might as well make them pretty.
    ditto to MTS ... I've done this before and added in some extra blocks leftover from the front.

well, I am a long arm quilter, and 108 fabric isnt going to work with a quilt that measures 108-you need at least 4 inches on all sides in order to have enough backing to go around.
    Also, I will say dont make a skimpy 1/4 inch seam in the back, either, i like to make a 1 inch seam in the back, and press it open, that way theres not alot of bulk.and thats personal preference i guess, one more thing- the seam should go horizontal in your quilt, not vertical, it DOES make a difference, hope this helps.
    katz

You might want to take a look at this quilt .... you'll see it is pieced much like what MTS has suggested.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-156943-1.htm#4336400

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by katz_n_kwiltz
    the seam should go horizontal in your quilt, not vertical, it DOES make a difference, hope this helps.
    katz
    And how exactly would one expand a 108"x108" one-piece backing to 116"x116" without a vertical seam?

Here's my take on that - I usually, if possible, do do horizontal seams because I don't like to have seams showing in the turndown (top 22" of the quilt back).
    However, if aesthetically I want/need it, then my long-armers need to deal with it and make it work. ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast