Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: child projects

RMM

Lightbulb child projects

Does anyone have any ideas for quick, easy sewing projects for 6 and 8 yr olds? We've made the pillowcases and small quilt blankets. For each visit, I am trying to do dif projects w/them....they both have fun sewing. Want something that will be quick and easy.
    RMM

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    make potholders with cotton batting interiors, fun fabrics on both sides, sew a big square round the outside and then an 'X' in the center...ribbon hanger on one of the corners as you go by ...and done... i do not have the kids turn these...they are done with raw edges out... and can even manage them on the treadle...

They could make their own placemats with their names on them.

Christmas ornaments made from 2 layers of felt sewn together with batting in the middle would be good. Use cookie cutters for patterns, and embellish with buttons, etc.
    Shirley in Arizona

Get some red felt or red furry fabric. For each one cut out 2 Christmas stocking shape. They can sew around the edges and leave raw edges out. They can glue on a a piece for the top and embellish.

Blog Entries
    How about mug rugs. For little ones I refer to them as snack mats. They could have fun designing their own. I made Santa a snack mat using the log cabin with Santa in the middle. It is a great way to use up some of the holiday stash too.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Bean bags are fast and easy, and give them something to play with afterwards. Line up some buckets or bowls across the floor at different distances and let them stand in one spot and throw their beanbags in.

You can put actual dried beans in the beanbags if you have nothing else, but if they get anywhere near moisture they will swell and rot. Those beanbags won't last very long. There are plastic granules you can buy in craft stores for making beanbags and weighted bottoms to toys. Those would be better and safer.

Another idea to sew would be aprons. They can give those as gifts for Christmas.

DJ
    There are some wonderful ideas here. I first thought to make small throw-pillows.

Little doll clothes?
    DJ_____________________

I did placemats with my gr. niece & nephew and we traced their hand & foot prints & I fused & stitched the shapes for them to fabrics they had chosen, here's a picture (hopefully) might give you an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    We made little pillows..Gabi made one with a heart on it and Zach made one with a star. It was so much fun and they were so proud of their work! We will do another very soon.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Power Poster
    All great ideas.

Another one - stuffed toys - with just fronts and backs (two pieces)

Toy bags or pajama bags - just a "specialized tote bag" - they could learn how to do handles if they have already made pillow cases.

Pajama bottoms

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast