Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Childrens Patterns >

Childrens Patterns

Childrens Patterns

Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for some ideas for a simple beginners pattern, one that 12-15 years olds could do... I was thinking no triangles yet! I was thinking of a simple 4 patch alternated with a focus fabric?, like a single irish chain. Do you think thats too boring for that age group?

Another class planned is for the little ones, 6-8 year olds and they will be doing doll quilts. I have that class planned already and fabric bought. So cute!!!

All of these classes will be machine piecing and hand quilting (Thank you Martina!!!!).

I am very excited to start teaching the youth abouth this awesome tradition!

Any ideas or suggestions are gretly appreciated!

Also, I have forced myself to downsize my fabric stash and even weeed through brand new-never used patterns.... Hello, my name is Lisa and I am a shop-a-fabric-quilt-aholic!!! :oops: :oops: I will be taking pictures and posting an ad for your shopping pleasure real soon!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:59 PM

I did this with our friends daughter.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/19471.page

I have the pattern name if you are interested (let me know) - but you would not really need a pattern for it. Allie did all the sewing and did the applique as well.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I like the idea of the 4-patch with an alternate block. Depending on the alternate, you could use a fussy-cut print from the focus fabric. (That fabric could be specific to the young person's interest.)

I also like the rail fence as a beginner pattern.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Big waves from Ireland Lisa, welcome to the board, and well done for passing on a great tradition to younger generations.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 AM

If you are wanting traditional piecing style quilts:

Any block you like, you can supersize, then they only need make 4-6 blocks or so, and the bed quilt is done.

I bought the book by Evelyn Sloppy - Sew One and You're Done - Making a Quilt from a Single Block. It is really good. It just takes the block and enlarges it. For example, you can do one star block to make a lap quilt.

Also, make some regular blocks with piecing, then alternate among some big squares or simple 4 patches.

Good luck, it is so wonderful to teach kids! Be sure to show pics of finished projects.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I like the rail fence for beginners, it teaches accurate 1/4 inch seams and with alternating solid blocks there's not as much matching. Then on to a 4 patch, teaching matching skills, JMHO :wink: