Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: choosing binding fabric

choosing binding fabric

How do you decide what color binding to use on a multi color quilt?

the binding, for me at least, is a frame for the entire quilt....so i want a color that is dark if the quilt is light, or light if the quilt is dark.....I want my eyes to stop at the edges and go back into the body of the quilt.....clear as mud right?....if I had a pale pink colored quilt, I would try to use a darker shade of pink to frame it.

Blog Entries
    What Buckeye Rose said. I audition it by holding up different fabrics next to the quilt to see what I like best.

Blog Entries
    I often use the same color as the last border so it isn't so apparent. However, there are many times that a special effect is needed, like a rainbow binding for instance. It's all really personal choice, part of the individuality of the design.
    Nancy in western NY

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I often use the same color as the last border so it isn't so apparent. However, there are many times that a special effect is needed, like a rainbow binding for instance. It's all really personal choice, part of the individuality of the design.
    What Nancy said.
    Cathy Wright

Totally agree with Nancy!

Power Poster
    I usually pick a darker colour so it doesn't show the dirt. The edge always seems to get dirty faster than the rest of the quilt. I am fond of stripes cut on the bias for a candy stripe effect.

I usually pick a fabric within the quilt that I want to highlight. Just finishing a 2-color only log cabin that has 3rd color as the center. That is what I'm using for the binding. After driving back to Lancaster to get more of it, mind you. Don't have enough of anything in the quilt, don't have enough of anything else that would work and can't order the fabric online. Guess I just HAVE to go to Lancaster again. What a shame.

Typically if the quilter is new or has not mastered the binding part of quilting, I recomend they use the same fabric as the outer most border. This helps to blend the binding with the outer border and imperfections are not nearly as noticable.
    If the quilter has done bindings , and is confident , I typically would suggest using a fabric that is with in the quilt. ( I do like darker , for practical reasons, ..dirt) .
    I also like to rely on blenders when using a fabric from the quilt is not an option. That being said I do very skinny bindings, so prints just don't show up well.

If it's a scrappy quilt, I prefer a scrappy binding, and that's a great way to use up scraps from the quilt. I always use a fabric that was used in the quilt, often the inner border fabric. I don't plan for the binding to stand out, but I seldom make it the same color as the last border. Darker is better than lighter (because of wear). In the end, use what you like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast