Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing HST layout and some more questions... >

Choosing HST layout and some more questions...

Choosing HST layout and some more questions...

Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Love pinwheels N...agree just do 1/4 inch...... that is so pretty
Old 10-11-2015, 04:20 PM

I personally like pinwheels. I would do them all in pinwheels or alternate a pinwheel and a square in square instead of just a few pinwheels. I would do a narrow sashing, but not necessarily white. You have all the basics - what color does your friend prefer. Use that for a narrow sash and a narrow frame border. Then you can decide if it needs another border or just binding. As for quilting, you could STID down the diagonals in the pinwheels (another reason I would do them all as pinwheels), and then down the center of the narrow sashing. If you choose to do a wider sashing, then I would STID both sides of the sash. If you choose to add an additional border, you could do a very long zigzag down the border. These are all fairly easy to do with regular feet on your machine. No matter what you choose, they will treasure the gift!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Silk you have done a splendid job...I love this layout...looks fabulous and you can stll add a complimentary border or two if you want to set the HST's off more and too increase the size otherwise it looks terrific as it is. And look at all your pointy points! Well done. Isn't it funny how sometimes inspiration just comes to you "out of the blue" and inevitably leads you to making the correct decision. It really is lovely and now I like your final layout better than pinwheels!! Lovely, lovely, and lucky, lucky baby!!
Ruby2shoes: Many, many thanks for your kind words, they mean a lot for me. I felt a little embarrassed to show my work, everyone here is so talented and I barely manage to sew a simple HST baby quilt.

Next weekend I will quilt it, I have decided to do SITD.

I'm happy with the pointy points: I have learnt a lot from all of you! The first time I tried to sew a potholder with HST it was awful... now I know that I have to starch, and press (not iron), and have to be constant with 1/4 seam, and trim! It really has made a difference. So thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Klswift (and the rest of people who took part in this thread): Many thanks for bringing your opinion and trying to help me. The top is finally done, I posted a picture in the previous page

Please, don't think that I ignored your advices only because I chose the second layout. I took note of every single idea you gave me, and all of them will be useful in my next projects.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:55 AM

I would like the pinwheel choice with sashing added in alternate rows and columns to emphasize the pinwheels.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 PM

Bravo! I love the all pinwheels one and agree the bottom mddle could be replaced with higher contrasting colors.