Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: choosing quilt colors for a gift

If you want to totally surprise someone with a quilt how do you choose the colors?

I want to surprise my mom with a lap quilt for her birthday. She is 78, she is simple, doesn't have a decorating style, and will probable just LOVE anything I make.

I made 2 quilts for me, they are bight and bold. I like them that way. This gift will be my 3rd. I bought a jelly-roll and 20 fat quarters in soft pretty blues, greens, oranges. Should I use these colors for her or go with what I would want in my house? I do want try these colors.

I would think about what she wears, and colors she picks out for stuff. Does she like bolds, or pastels???????

I would look at her wardrobe and see what colors she she tends to pick and go with something that fits into that.

My mom was very much 'fade into the background' in her choices so we would try to pick something simple but with a hint of zing and she always loved it.

My moms cloths are neutrals and soft colors. I'll go with that.

I had never thought about looking at what they wear. Duh. What a great idea.

Blog Entries
    I agree on picking out colors that they normally wear :wink:
    Mom is going to love her quilt :D:D:D

I would have never thought about clothing, because as a wide woman I basically wear darker colors, but my house is in everything from blues, greens, tans, golds.

Blog Entries
    I would choose something that you like. I think your mom sounds like a person who will love anything you make. I don't usually make anything with all neutrals and soft colors because I really like some contrast in my quilts. This is just my personal preference though.