Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts >

Christmas gifts

Christmas gifts

Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Hi, I have been trying to drum up ideas on how to make cosmetic bags / Toiletries bag (for when travelling) as well as shopping bags. Anyone got any ideas / patterns to share. I am trying to make this Christmas a hand made one.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
Hi, I have been trying to drum up ideas on how to make cosmetic bags / Toiletries bag (for when travelling) as well as shopping bags. Anyone got any ideas / patterns to share. I am trying to make this Christmas a hand made one.
I just got done making a small bag.....very simple that's a rectangle of your choice of size with a velcro top to seal the contents. No pattern; your decision on how big or small. I used french seams to keep the raw edges from being visible. I also used a printed duck but I'm sure it would work out nicely using cotton or cotton blends. Sew simple!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
Here's a link to some shopping bags I made. Everyone I gave them to loved them. They're really sturdy and hold a lot of groceries.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-14262-1.htm
Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 PM

For a very simple bag to make which can be made in any size, take a rectangle of pre-quilted fabric, sew a zipper on the short side, leaving about 1/2" from the ends of the zipper to the edge of the fabric, then sew the 1/2" leaving the ends of the zipper free (which will make a tube). Hold the edge of the fabric tube right sides together with the top of the zipper as the starting point and sew from the zipper to the end of the fabric using a 1/4" seam. If you want a strap, you can use cording or bias tape, cut to the length you want and placed at the end of the fabric on the right side before sewing. On the opposite edge, hold the fabric right sides together with the zipper in the center of the tube, then sew across from side to side. You end up with a weird triangular kind of shape.

I don't have a picture of one, but will try to take one and post a picture.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I made somecute ones using paper bags as the pattern. Turned out cute!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Joann's website has tons of free bag projects--all sizes. Go to projects then embroidery/quilting.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

This site has some really cute ones in all sizes free! They are called rolypoly nesters.

http://studiokatdesigns.com/freepatterns.htm
Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Here are some of the cosmetic bags I made for Christmas last year. They are easy. I usually make the rectangles 8" x 10". I take the lining rectangle and center a piece of batting on the wrong side of it, 1/2" smaller (7" x 9") than the rectangle. I pin it in the middle. Take a strip of 1/2" velcro, 6" long. Put one piece of the velcro in the center of the rectangle's right side, 1" down from the raw edge. You are also catching the batting on the wrong side of this rectangle. I just sew all around the velcro at the edge. I made the front rectangle by sewing strips together. Place the outside fabric and the lining fabric right sides together. Sew the two together on the wrong side of the
fabric. Then turn right side out. Fold in half (right sides together) being careful to match the top of the bag so that both sides of the top are even with one another. Starting at the opening of the bag at the top, stitch together ending with the fold. Take pinking shears and trim the inside seam. Turn inside out so the lining is now on the inside. Make sure your inside at the fold are pushed out to a point. Your velcro should match together and you have your little bag.

Cosmetic Bag open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108160[/ATTACH]

A few of the cosmetic bags I made
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108161[/ATTACH]

A few more
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108162[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108155.jpe   attachment-108156.jpe   attachment-108157.jpe