Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas present from me to me >

Christmas present from me to me

Christmas present from me to me

Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Today DH and I visited an antique shop and I spotted an old Husquvarna sewing machine...the guy said it works. I bought it cuz I could...for $60. I brought it home and took it out of it's original case and guess what. It doesn't work! I didn't try it at the shop, just took his word for it. I took it apart...there is a gear that slips out so it won't move the needle arm up or down. When holding the gear in place it moves. The motor works well...nice and quiet. I'm bummed! Now to find a repair man. Where oh where do I even begin to look??
Do you think I should even try calling the shop back and visit with them? I think it's my fault for not trying it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I would contact the shop. They falsly sold you an item that didn't work when they said it did.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM

Then again you could PM Billy his online name on here is Lostn51 and let him know what you have. Explain what you have found. He may feel like you still got a great deal. Perhaps the fix is minor in nature. Worth checking before you take it back. If he thinks it goes back to the seller, then by all means take it back. Just a thought...
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

Yes, check with Billy first!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Bummer! I am like that too, I ALWAYS trust people. Usually it turns out good, maybe its just something little! I hope so!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:55 AM

Sent a quick message to Billy. Thanks for the advice. I always trust what people tell me. Shame on me, I guess, but I'd hate to always be on guard and mistrusting. So I got bit, but I just fell in love with this machine. Hate it when that happens! LOL!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 AM

I'd probably take it back to where you purchased it.

ESPECIALLY because he told you it worked...

but wait - working and sewing are 2 different things to some people.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM

You are so right...thought of that when I stepped on the pedal...motor ran and very quietly..it just purrs, but the needle bar (I know there is a better word for this) won't go up or down, unless you could hold the gear in place.

I really really love this machine and want to keep it, returning it is not an option for me, but sure would take some money back on it as I will have to have it fixed, whatever is wrong with it. I don't know if that is an option though.

To make matters worse...I tried to contact them by phone and it is no longer connected due to a fire this past August in their previous store front. They are in a temporary area for the time being, but either dont have a phone or are using just their cells. I checked my receipt and it's just a generic one with no stamped name/address/phone # on it at all. I will have to drive over and visit with them and I will..AFTER the fog has lifted and the icey roads are gone! LOL!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM

The bobbin winder isn't engaged is it? I took a machine back to repairman once and he just tightened up the wheel and away it went. Talk about being embarassed...
Old 12-30-2010, 02:14 PM

I hope you can get it figured out. I'm eager to hear what Billy has to say abou it. Any pictures?